• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Official admit you fell off your rocker thread

Here goes....
I fell out of a tree in the Manistee National Forest, while bow hunting, back in the late 70s. BC - Before Climbers. I'd just climb a tree and stand on a branch with my bow in hand, after pulling it up with a piece of twine. :)
Just finished working an 8 hour shift, from midnight to 8 a.m., then drove 7+ hours to hunt west of Cadillac, Michigan in the previously mentioned Forest. I'd been awake for over 26 hours and attempted to finish off the day by getting in some bow hunting, a couple of hours before dark.

The fall breeze felt good in my face, then the wind got knocked out of me. That "breeze" was the wind in my face, while falling out and landing flat on my back. o_O The sandy soil and fresh leaves cushioned my fall....a bit. As I sat up, regained my balance, caught my breath and realized what had happened, I made a decision to go back to camp and sleep it off. :cool:

Here goes....
I fell out of a tree in the Manistee National Forest, while bow hunting, back in the late 70s. BC - Before Climbers. I'd just climb a tree and stand on a branch with my bow in hand, after pulling it up with a piece of twine. :)
Just finished working an 8 hour shift, from midnight to 8 a.m., then drove 7+ hours to hunt west of Cadillac, Michigan in the previously mentioned Forest. I'd been awake for over 26 hours and attempted to finish off the day by getting in some bow hunting, a couple of hours before dark.

The fall breeze felt good in my face, then the wind got knocked out of me. That "breeze" was the wind in my face, while falling out and landing flat on my back. o_O The sandy soil and fresh leaves cushioned my fall....a bit. As I sat up, regained my balance, caught my breath and realized what had happened, I made a decision to go back to camp and sleep it off. :cool:
Been there, done that. It doesn't take long to reach the ground either.

Not sure we should be encouraging “funny” I fell stories but maybe that’s just me. When I was a new member I almost free climbed because a respected member did and no one said anything.
Agreed!!! :rolleyes:
Hind sight is 20/20 and I go overboard the other way for total safety, when climbing. :cool:
I feel very fortunate that I can say that I've never fallen, while hunting, since that day. I attribute that to taking the extra steps to insure that I don't and it has paid off....big time. I've heard some first hand accounts of falls and what all it took to get rehabbed back to normal. o_O Pass!

Last edited:
I went hunting late one morning after a duty day (24 hours). I hadn’t been awake for all of the 24 hours, but most. Went home, changed and went hunting. It was cold and started snowing. I climbed under a hemlock to wait out the snow and woke up some time later. It was dark out and I had no idea of time since I didn’t have my watch on and this was pre cell phones, lol

Turned out that I woke up around 0130 or so.

I fell off of a snowmobile last winter trying to get on. My family said I rolled around like a turtle before I was able to right myself. I had on a heavy backpack with most of their gear in it. They still laugh hysterically about that. I think they are harsh and ungrateful.

Back