• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Old Dog Learning New Tricks

Welcome to the addiction....
Where at in Texas do you hunt?
I hunt public access north of dallas into souther Oklahoma.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the group!! Glad to see you have made the switch after all those years of experience under your belt!

Welcome to the addiction....
Where at in Texas do you hunt?
I hunt public access north of dallas into souther Oklahoma.
I hunt near Forestburg, about an hour and a half northeast of Dallas in Montague County

Hello!

I just bit the bullet on a new Kestrel. I am 59 and have always hunted from stands or blinds. Have been mobile the last three years with LW Alpha and sticks.

I live in KY, but also hunt IL and TX every year.

Hoping to learn from folks in the forums, as I have never tried a saddle.
Welcome I'm also 59. You never too old to saddle hunt. I think you'll like this site great bunch of guys. I think you will love the Kestrel it's a great saddle . When I started saddle hunting there weren't alot of saddles out there. Now there are different
saddles to choose from . It's great.

I hunt near Forestburg, about an hour and a half northeast of Dallas in Montague County

I grew up hunting near Saint Jo (Capps Corner), so I’m familiar with the area. There are some good deer in Montague County...

How's saddle hunting in those oaks?

You won’t get very high, but I really like the cover they provide. I tend to get 1 set of limbs above the bottom of the canopy. It leaves me decent shooting lanes between limbs, but obscures movement.

Back