• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Old School DIY Platform: Part 2

ricky racer

The 1/4" Amsteel rope came today so I was able to splice it to the platform thanks to G2's video. My method of attachment is somewhat unique and is something I've used for years in the past. It has always worked well for me even in years past I used rope from the hardware store instead of the Amsteel. I've never had a failure and feel really confident in the attachment. I did a Brummel Splice on the left side (facing the tree) of the platform and drilled two holes on the other side of the platform. To mount the platform to a tree you need to fold the bow down all the way, straight down.

20180913_195333-288x512.jpg

Place the platform against the tree and pass the Amsteel rope around the tree. Next insert the end of the rope into the first hole from the backside of the platform and pull it through snugly against the tree. Next pass the end of the rope through the second hole leaving a little loop to pass the tail end of the rope under. Dress the loops while taking up any slack then lift the front of the platform up and swing the bow into place. As you raise the platform the rope will draw down on itself and tighten around the tail end of the rope locking it in place so it can't slip. If you don't feel the platform didn't cam over tight enough, you can redress the rope or move the platform up an inch or two and cam it over again.

Slip the knotted 550 cord into the hole in the lower tooth and move the bow up or down until one of the knots will slip in just under the key slot. You've now got a solid stand that is light weight and easy to transport. My stand without the Amsteel rope weighs 4.0 on our digital scales at work. If I would have used the 5/8" x .035 wall tubing I wanted, it would be 11.4 oz. lighter. The 10' of Amsteel I ordered weighs 3 oz. but needs to be trimmed by a couple of feet. So overall, it's pretty light, not as light as the Predator and not as quick to set up at the Predator but if a commercially produced platform is outside of your budget, this might be an alternative.

20180913_195429-288x512.jpg

20180913_195455-288x512.jpg

20180913_195541-288x512.jpg

20180913_194958-288x512.jpg

20180913_195153-288x512.jpg

So you use a dropper rope from the platform to hold the bottom “v” part in the correct position? I think I really like this. How does it side load? I could see using something like this for presets on the farm.

So you use a dropper rope from the platform to hold the bottom “v” part in the correct position? I think I really like this. How does it side load? I could see using something like this for presets on the farm.
Yes. Side loading is no problem. It's rock solid.

You made a mini version of every treestand I hunted out of in the late 80's and early 90's. That was all we used, they had seat belts for the tree strap. I still have a couple that are in good shape- they were always rock solid so i dont doubt that your mini version is any different!

Looks great! I wonder if you could take the two-hole “knot” and use that concept on a wood platform on a wildedge step?

can you show the part you're talking about for the bottom of the platform? I can't picture that concept in my head.

A short length of 550 cord is passed through a hole in the platform and knotted so it can't pull through. Starting about 4" or 5" down I tie knots in the cord about every inch. Once the lower support is in the correct location I place the 550 cord through the 1/2" hole and pull the cord into the key hole with the nearest knot just under the key hole. The knot on the 550 cord keeps the lower support from kicking out. As soon as you put weight on the platform the point on the lower support will bite into the tree and won't slip.

20180910_175848-512x288.jpg

20180910_175932-512x288.jpg

A hardcore traditional hunter wearing capri pants
o_OIMG_6980.PNG

Last edited:
cf261c738ff396eed1684e9a3af9e072.jpg

I knew I kept these dang things around for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back