• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One of two weekends I can hunt Saturday AND Sunday this year. Windy tomorrow, should I hunt?

caddis75

Hey all,

A Low-Pressure system is coming through tonight and tomorrow in SE PA. Tomorrow is rainy and windy. Sunday looks great. Someone with more experience than I, is it worth it to hunt tomorrow? I will be hunting Sunday. Thanks.
Saturday.png

Sunday.png

Two things I believe
Can’t kill them on the couch
Deer live in all weather it only really bothers the hunters
Yep. Deer don't get to stay home and sit on the couch and watch Netflix. There horny as can be right now. Anything can happen.

Ill hunt in a light rain, but im paranoid about the thought of trying to blood trail in or after a heavy rain. Might not be justified, might just be me overthinking things.

Hey all,

A Low-Pressure system is coming through tonight and tomorrow in SE PA. Tomorrow is rainy and windy. Sunday looks great. Someone with more experience than I, is it worth it to hunt tomorrow? I will be hunting Sunday. Thanks.
View attachment 56820

View attachment 56821
Cool weather, a little rain and the wind is mostly below 10mph? I wouldn’t miss that opportunity

Hey all,

View attachment 56820

View attachment 56821
The question isn't IF you should hunt, the question is WHERE you should hunt. Gotta take prevailing wind, surface wind, and terrain into account. They all interact.
Will deer be moving? Most likely.
Do you have stand locations that will allow you to hunt the SURFACE wind where the stand is?

The question isn't IF you should hunt, the question is WHERE you should hunt. Gotta take prevailing wind, surface wind, and terrain into account. They all interact.
Will deer be moving? Most likely.
Do you have stand locations that will allow you to hunt the SURFACE wind where the stand is?
Yes. entry will be tricky, but yes.

I hunted today in a steady wind with gust to 30-40mph. Although I didn’t see one in the stand, on my way out I ran into a big shooter and we had a stare down. He leaped into a brushy power line. I had an interesting game of cat and mouse with this big guy. I was on foot and saw the direction he was walking, so I went down a trail to intersect him. Sure enough, we see each other again and froze for about 5 mins. This happened a few more times when he headed away down the power line. Again, I thought I could intersect him one more time at the end of this power line. Sure enough, as I rounded the corner he was standing in the brush, I drew and he pivoted into some thicker brush. No shot, no buck, but that was an interesting encounter with a serious mature buck. The wet ground and wind was cover for me to be able to intersect this guy a few times. So I say get in the woods. You can’t kill them from the house, and it’s November 12th.

The answer is simple. Q - "Should I hunt?" A - Yes. The deer are always in the woods. You may need to change your tactics, but if you have the opportunity to hunt, take it.

Hey all,

View attachment 56820

View attachment 56821
Can't shoot em from the couch....any day you can be in the woods is a better chance at an encounter.....

I shot my biggest deer to date when it was blowing NE 20+ and about 30 degrees outside.

Leave the saddle at home and get out there! Today was miserable in Michigan but I hit the ground and managed to still hunt into 2 different bucks between 11:30am and 2:30 pm. Now I've got some ideas on some areas for the next time I do bring a saddle.

Windy hunting can be the best you can move around all day and they can't hear ya and tend to stick tight to thicker cover so that can work to your advantage still-hunting through it.

Back