• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One stick aider question

devildog

For all your one sticking experts out there. How many steps do you like on your aider, and what step distance?
I am leaning towards two steps with 17' spacing. I use beast sticks now with 22' spacing so I am used to a longer distance.

I'm a one step (approx 17") aider guy. Personally not a fan of multi-step aiders and I find I can lift my foot up and get it into the aider with no issues after placing my stick (an ~20 in modded helium) as high as I can given the amount I can advance the tether while standing on the bottom rungs of the stick. I use a 24" GM Climb runner double looped around my lower stick standoff legs as my aider.

I find if I climb up onto the upper steps to advance my tether then it's too hard for me to reach down to unseat and move the stick. I get about 3.5 to 4 feet per stick move depending on how aggressive I want to be on stepping up onto the aider.

My setup currently is a Shikar-Mini with a 3–step rope aider. The step distance, hanging without weight on them is roughly 12-13”. When I step into the aider they sink making the practical step distance right at 15”. Early season I could go closer to the 17-18” range but late season when I’ve got thermals, pants, and bibs on, that 15” step is about all i care to do. Anymore and I’m struggling, over-exerting, and sweating which is a major problem for me. I would rather just have it a good comfortable distance and make one more move of the stick than struggle and have problems.

For me, the 3-step aider gives me the greatest potential. If the situation is a bit dicey, such as a leaning tree, or passing branches, I’ll use only 2 of the steps. Just because I have 3 doesn’t mean I have to use 3 on each move but if I can, then I certainly will to get more height. In 4 moves I can be around 22’ high. With my old Hawk Heliums, 3 sticks with aiders would put me at 20’. To me I’ll take the extra move for the less weight and bulk going in.

My setup currently is a Shikar-Mini with a 3–step rope aider. The step distance, hanging without weight on them is roughly 12-13”. When I step into the aider they sink making the practical step distance right at 15”. Early season I could go closer to the 17-18” range but late season when I’ve got thermals, pants, and bibs on, that 15” step is about all i care to do. Anymore and I’m struggling, over-exerting, and sweating which is a major problem for me. I would rather just have it a good comfortable distance and make one more move of the stick than struggle and have problems.

For me, the 3-step aider gives me the greatest potential. If the situation is a bit dicey, such as a leaning tree, or passing branches, I’ll use only 2 of the steps. Just because I have 3 doesn’t mean I have to use 3 on each move but if I can, then I certainly will to get more height. In 4 moves I can be around 22’ high. With my old Hawk Heliums, 3 sticks with aiders would put me at 20’. To me I’ll take the extra move for the less weight and bulk going in.

Your reasoning completely makes sense maybe 3 steps with 14" spacing would be better than, 2 with 17" spacing.

Your reasoning completely makes sense maybe 3 steps with 14" spacing would be better than, 2 with 17" spacing.
For me it’s worked out well. I’m 50, 6’, but overweight. My gut gets in the way of high-stepping it up 20-22” steps. Just not doable. The shorter steps works for me. That’s one of the reasons I like the tied rope or webbing aiders. It’s easy to adjust them to try different heights to find what works. Then from there you can have a custom sewn webbing aider or spliced amsteel aider made to fit your needs.

That’s what I did. I made my own aider but I made four 13” steps. I’d rather have an extra step that’s very easy to make in any clothing than one I’m stretching for in heavy clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm using a cut down LW stick with EWO double steps and 3 step aider at 12". I'm an older (65) out of shape guy and I find it much easier to use the shorter 12" steps, especially in the later season with heavier clothes. It works for me. Three sets of my stick and my feet are still around 17/18'.

I have used 2 different sticks/aiders combos. A 2 step rope aider with 17" spacing and a 3 step webbing aider with 16" spacing. I prefer the webbing and 3 step, even though I don't always use the 3 steps there are times where I find myself in need of the extra length. I'll be getting a 3 step webbing aider for my mission platform and I think I'm going to go with the same distance of 16".

I cut down some Lone Wolf sticks to 20" and this old man finds them difficult to climb. I made one stick at 16" and it works well so last month I ordered an Ultimate One Stick from EWO. I ordered a 15" stick with a three step aider with a 16" spacing. Should be getting it anytime now. Can't wait!

The aiders I made early on were 2 and 3 step with 20" step spacing. Easy trees were fine but in a few certain situations I felt as if the aider was fighting me the whole time. I'd set the stick and find I would be "between" steps, were I couldn't quite reach the 2nd step and the the 3rd would be down to were I couldn't 100% control step into it.

Later aider designs were 4 and 5 step with 16" step spacing. No more long reaches putting myself into momentarily sketchy situations. To me, less spacing and more steps give u greater options and u won't have to be stretched out in positions that compromise your balance as much....

Current aider is 4 step with 16" spacing

one school of thought is keep your steps consistent.

another is it’s a wobbley aider....make them manageable . spacing on a typical ladder is 12”.

No expert here; this was my first season using a saddle and one stick.

I tried a couple different combinations, but found that a 3 step webbing aider with 15” spacing was the most comfortable and effective for me. Im 5’9 with a 32” inseam for reference.

I also liked that the webbing was 1” wide and felt more stable compared to the cable aiders and small diameter Amsteel aiders I have as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back