• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One stick aider questions

DerekDun8

Getting the ultimate one stick from DanO. I’m 5’11. I was thinking the 15in. stick but am unsure about......2 or 3 step aider and distance of aider step. I’m often hunting cold weather and bulked up in clothing so I don’t want to have a massive step distance. Any insight will be appreciated.

Last edited:
I have a 5 step aider, I use all 5 on my first climb from the ground, after that its 3 steps.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Getting the ultimate one stick from DanO. I’m 5’11. I was thinking the 15in. stick but am unsure about......2 or 3 step aider and distance of aider step. I’m often hunting cold weather and bulked up in clothing so I don’t want to have a massive step distance. Any insight will be appreciated.

Perfect. Just add a cam cleat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Get the 3 step 15 inch step distance. I tried 20 inches distance with bibs and layers and did not feel safe. You might not need all 3 steps, but it will keep you from working too hard if you need the extra for going around limbs. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Get the 3 step 15 inch step distance. I tried 20 inches distance with bibs and layers and did not feel safe. You might not need all 3 steps, but it will keep you from working too hard if you need the extra for going around limbs. Good luck!

Thanks! This was the information I was looking for.

I was going to say the same thing. Have the aider match the step distance of the stick. That way on the first placement you can get your feet to probably 7-8 range with your height. I'm 5'4" and I have a two step aider and the 2 step EWO ultralight stick. I can get me feet to 6' easily on the first placement.

I am 6' and I have a set of 4 LW sticks I cut down to 24" and made my own aiders with 22" steps to match my sticks. I put a 2 step aider on the first stick and when single aider on the others. Worked great when using multiple sticks.

Now that I am single-sticking using the stick with the 2-step aider I wish the steps were closer together. Maybe 18" or so. It's not an issue on the first step (I get to about 8') but after I move the stick while hanging on my tether getting my foot onto the aider can be difficult with heavy layers or if the step placement puts me between the two steps on the aider.

Back