• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One Stick Repelling Device

Dhamilton1

I have decided that I’m going to give “one sticking” a try next season. I’ve scoured the forums and topics on what I’ll need supply wise but I was wondering what a safe alternative to use is instead of a mad rock safeguard? Trying to keep a slim budget at first to try out the climbing method then buy a mad rock if I like the method. Also, what’s a good alternative to Sterling Canyon for repelling? Local climbing store carries petzel, black diamond, New England and Kong brands. Can order offline if need be though.

A lot of options out there currently. There are several mechanical devices along with many non mechanical devices. Personally I use a GriGri, however I use a Ropeman to ascend and only use the GriGri on rappel. I may switch that up next season, but for now it works.

Check out this thread a few down for some additional advice.
Madrock Alternative

I have a Madrock, but this is my backup and I would feel fine using it as my main rappel device.

A lot of options out there currently. There are several mechanical devices along with many non mechanical devices. Personally I use a GriGri, however I use a Ropeman to ascend and only use the GriGri on rappel. I may switch that up next season, but for now it works.

Check out this thread a few down for some additional advice.
Madrock Alternative
I saw this article after I posted mine, thanks for the link though.

I use the phatkaw method I keep my rappel line in my pack and climb with a tether I use 8mm and a friction hitch and then for my rappel I use 9mm canyon elite and a figure 8

Back