• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One stick vs. 2 tether climbing

NotSoModernAmerican

I have been saddle hunting for three years now, but I have never experimented with different climbing methods. I am now looking into TTC, but was wondering how it compared to one sticking? Both setups would cut at least five pounds off my pack weight, but I also want simplicity, anyone ever tried climbing both setups?

After the last year of dabbling with both, went back to steps for ease of use, less sweaty, constant need to upgrade ropes ascenders descenders, and a tad lighter. By the time I had all of my components added up I was at 10.5 pounds, with just steps and my platform linesman and teather I'm at ten. Also can't beat the simplicity of good old faithful. A lot of other people have good luck with both. User preference. But there is a whole posting for two tether with more info on it than you could ever need.

After the last year of dabbling with both, went back to steps for ease of use, less sweaty, constant need to upgrade ropes ascenders descenders, and a tad lighter. By the time I had all of my components added up I was at 10.5 pounds, with just steps and my platform linesman and teather I'm at ten. Also can't beat the simplicity of good old faithful. A lot of other people have good luck with both. User preference. But there is a whole posting for two tether with more info on it than you could ever need.

what kind of steps? are you mobile or leave them in the tree?

Primal v steps...just like the we steps but cheaper. They weigh a pound a piece. I cut the buckle off the strap and tie them the same as a we step. And I'm mobile and only hunt public, definitely bring them in and out with me.

I have been saddle hunting for three years now, but I have never experimented with different climbing methods. I am now looking into TTC, but was wondering how it compared to one sticking? Both setups would cut at least five pounds off my pack weight, but I also want simplicity, anyone ever tried climbing both setups?
Each have pros and cons, I enjoy both. I have one stick climbed predominately the past two years and have 2TC for about a year now.

2TC Requires more moves because you are not getting as much progress per set of tether moves. Since there is not a whole lot to the moves, they go pretty quick.

One sticking requires less moves, but the moves take a little long to set up.
I have found that I can 2TC OR one stick a tree in approximately the same amount of time. 20-25 ft in 5-8 min.

2TC requires you to climb to hunting height and then set up a platform or ROS. With one sticking your last transition sets your platform up, so once you climb on top of it you’re ready to hunt. This assumes you’re using a platform on your stick combo.

Both 2TC and one sticking in my opinion require a saddle that can be comfortably sat in without foot support. It does not take long for certain saddles to cut circulation or at least be uncomfortable after a few moves.

2TC and One-sticking are limited by the size of the they can climb. Trees that are larger around then what you can almost reach around the back start to get more difficult to climb.

I would recommend having 2 tethers for any climbing method you chose. Especially 2TC and one sticking.

Each are somewhat difficult to get down starting off, so the physical barrier to climb to me is about the same.

I think 2TC wins simplicity of gear because it’s just 2 tethers, and one foot loop.
2TC takes time to learn how to balance on the foot when standing, and some may find this more difficult to learn. Others have started using a double foot stirrup which adds stability, keeps you off the tree and allows you to focus on the tether moves.

Let me know if there is anything specific you want to know or want to see out of either climbing method.

Each have pros and cons, I enjoy both. I have one stick climbed predominately the past two years and have 2TC for about a year now.

2TC Requires more moves because you are not getting as much progress per set of tether moves. Since there is not a whole lot to the moves, they go pretty quick.

I have found that I can 2TC OR one stick a tree in approximately the same amount of time. 20-25 ft in 5-8 min.

2TC requires you to climb to hunting height and then set up a platform or ROS. With one sticking your last transition sets your platform up, so once you climb on top of it you’re ready to hunt. This assumes you’re using a platform on your stick combo.

Both 2TC and one sticking in my opinion require a saddle that can be comfortably sat in without foot support. It does not take long for certain saddles to cut circulation or at least be uncomfortable after a few moves.

2TC and One-sticking are limited by the size of the they can climb. Trees that are larger around then what you can almost reach around the back start to get more difficult to climb.

I would recommend having 2 tethers for any climbing method you chose. Especially 2TC and one sticking.

Each are somewhat difficult to get down starting off, so the physical barrier to climb to me is about the same.

I think 2TC wins simplicity of gear because it’s just 2 tethers, and one foot loop.
2TC takes time to learn how to balance on the foot when standing, and some may find this more difficult to learn. Others have started using a double foot stirrup which adds stability, keeps you off the tree and allows you to focus on the tether moves.

Let me know if there is anything specific you want to know or want to see out of either climbing method.
[/QUOTE
I tried 2TC with a single foot loop, but found it hard balancing on one foot; is there a link to a double loop or are they mostly DIY?

I tried 2TC with a single foot loop, but found it hard balancing on one foot; is there a link to a double loop or are they mostly DIY?

I was using 3 Muddy Pro original sticks, last year. However, the originals are 32" long, have 3 fixed steps and weigh just over 3 lbs. each. :rolleyes:

I switched to the 2TC method and tried several different foot loops. Then I came across Custom Gear Modifications, that make a 4" wide foot loop for only $27. So, I purchased 2 of them and use them both on my bottom tether. This makes all the difference in comfort and climbing ease. :cool:
I use both ends of my rappel rope for the tethers, remove the bottom foot loops, store them in my daypack and stand on my platform, until I decide to rappel out. :)
Foot Loop 1.jpg
Foot Loop 3.jpg

Balancing take some getting use to like I mentioned above. If you have some 1” webbing you can make one really easy. A production version 2 foot stirrup is suppose to be offered at CGM.

Link to single footloop

If it isn’t on the website yet you can probably reach out to @always89y via PM and I bet he could make exactly what you need.

Balancing take some getting use to like I mentioned above. If you have some 1” webbing you can make one really easy. A production version 2 foot stirrup is offered at CGM.
CGM has a newer version of the 4" single Foot Loops in the works, but I don't think it's available, yet.
Personally, I don't have any trouble keeping my feet together as I climb. I keep the insides of my feet on the tree, instead of "toeing" the tree, like you would with a aider.
CGM Foot Loop Stirrups.jpg

Thanks for all the info, I have access to commercial sewing equipment so I'll make myself a double loop. BowhunterXC in the photo of your setup I notice you have ropeman instead of a safeguard, how are you rappelling? Rappelling seems like a fast and fun way out of the tree with out sacrificing safety, but I don't want to spend $100 on a safeguard just to try it.

Thanks for all the info, I have access to commercial sewing equipment so I'll make myself a double loop. BowhunterXC in the photo of your setup I notice you have ropeman instead of a safeguard, how are you rappelling? Rappelling seems like a fast and fun way out of the tree with out sacrificing safety, but I don't want to spend $100 on a safeguard just to try it.
I think most just 2TC back down. I was wondering the same since he uses both ends of his rappel line. Rappelling would require removing the quick link off of one end of the rappel line in order to pull your rope down after you rappel. I wouldn’t want to have to untie a scaffold knot after it’s been loaded.

BowhunterXC in the photo of your setup I notice you have ropeman instead of a safeguard, how are you rappelling? Rappelling seems like a fast and fun way out of the tree with out sacrificing safety, but I don't want to spend $100 on a safeguard just to try it.
Once I'm on my platform and at the end of the hunt, I switch over from the Ropeman1 and carabiner to a Figure 8 and a carabiner with a prusik or distel hitch on an auto-block, for rappelling. :cool:

CGM has a newer version of the 4" single Foot Loops in the works, but I don't think it's available, yet.
Personally, I don't have any trouble keeping my feet together as I climb. I keep the insides of my feet on the tree, instead of "toeing" the tree, like you would with a aider.
View attachment 69146
Should be available tomorrow, that was the response I got back. I agree, the inside of your feet against the tree is much better than toeing the tree. And being able to stand on both feet and distribute the weight is so much better. I've got one I made from 1 inch tubular webbing, but I'm interested in CGMs offering when it comes out

I was using 3 Muddy Pro original sticks, last year. However, the originals are 32" long, have 3 fixed steps and weigh just over 3 lbs. each. :rolleyes:

I switched to the 2TC method and tried several different foot loops. Then I came across Custom Gear Modifications, that make a 4" wide foot loop for only $27. So, I purchased 2 of them and use them both on my bottom tether. This makes all the difference in comfort and climbing ease. :cool:
I use both ends of my rappel rope for the tethers, remove the bottom foot loops, store them in my daypack and stand on my platform, until I decide to rappel out. :)
View attachment 69144
View attachment 69145

I really like your setup. Never considered using the other end of my rappel for lower tether. Considering copying it. How do you like using the ropeman instead of a knot? Does it hit the tree every time you make a move? Also, with the other end of the rappel line being a tether with a quick link, how do you retrieve the line if you went over a branch and it doesn't simply drop down?

Last edited:

This is a great comparison post between the two buddy.

I really like your setup. Never considered using the other end of my rappel for lower tether. Considering copying it. How do you like using the ropeman instead of a knot? Does it hit the tree every time you make a move? Also, with the other end of the rappel line being a tether with a quick link, how do you retrieve the line if you went over a branch and it doesn't simply drop down?
* The Ropeman1 allows for adjustment according to the size of the tree I'm climbing.
* As far as the "Ropeman1 hitting the tree" and making any noise, it does not.
* I use one of my tether ropes, as a lineman rope/belt, to hold me in place, while I make the transition around limbs. I have that tether daisy chained to my left side lineman loop on my tree saddle, until and/or if I need it. It does not interfere with climbing, walking in or get snagged on anything.
* My rappel rope is almost 40' long, so the bottom quick link doesn't interfere with rappelling, that way I can leave the scaffold knot tied in place.

This guy climbs with one 2" belt on his bottom tether line. He appears to be using a distel hitch with a micro pulley, for his rappel. Just the same, it's a good demonstration of how this method works. :)

Do you carry an extra tether to go around branches?
You can carry a 3rd tether or simply move your footloop temporarily to your top tether or even just tie a loop in your top tether. This allows you to stand on the top tether and bypass the limb.

Back