• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One stick vs DRT climbing

Bowmanmike

I am a newbie and don't have a saddle yet. I am trying to figure out what climbing method i will pursue first.
The main difference between the two is the throw bag i guess,would be a hassle for unprepped a.m. sits.
Does DRT limit the type of trees one can climb too? Aside from a tree not having a big enough branch at hunting height. Lots of branches are ok with both or is one easier than the other?

I am a newbie and don't have a saddle yet. I am trying to figure out what climbing method i will pursue first.
The main difference between the two is the throw bag i guess,would be a hassle for unprepped a.m. sits.
Does DRT limit the type of trees one can climb too? Aside from a tree not having a big enough branch at hunting height. Lots of branches are ok with both or is one easier than the other?

For DRT you need a tree with a branch or crotch strong enough to support your weight.

I carry a single stick and a 30’ tether. I either stick up or SRT up or a combination of techniques. At the top I ratchet the stick to the tree and put out a ring of steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry a single stick and a 30’ tether. I either stick up or SRT up or a combination of techniques. At the top I ratchet the stick to the tree and put out a ring of steps.

What do you mean by "ratchet the stick"?

I would try both. Only you will know what feels more comfortable for you. I tried one sticking, DRT and SRT/RADS. I also tried DRT/RADS. One sticking is slow or seems slow to me. Hanging from a tether while adjusting a stick takes a bit of getting used to. I would one stick if I didn't SRT/RADS. You can SRT up any tree you can get a tether around whether it has limbs or not. I use a throw bag or this to get the rope up.

What do you mean by "ratchet the stick"?

While using my stick and a ring of steps as a platform one time, my sideways pressure cause the stick to kick out and drop leaving me stranded in the tree. I had to use a backup screw in step and my lineman belt and inch my way down to grab and fix the stick.

Now I use a 30’ tether so I’m never stuck (which lead to doing SRT sometimes). Once my stick is at height I lower myself down so the top step of my stick is at my chest level. Then I use a ratchet strap to secure it at the top step to the tree and also deploy my ring of steps.

So how do you get your SRT rope up in a tree with no limbs?
Check out the link I posted in my previous post (Electrical Rope Pusher Pole Success). It explains everything. Well, almost. ;)

Check out the link I posted in my previous post (Electrical Rope Pusher Pole Success). It explains everything. Well, almost. ;)

I gotcha.

So you have me thinking... I could hike in with a 6-7’ walking stick that has an end on it like a v or maybe an upside down hook. Then when doing my current 1 stick/SRT hybrid method I could use the stick to push the tether up twice as high. This would mean moving my stick half as many times. Hmm.

So you have me thinking... I could hike in with a 6-7’ walking stick that has an end on it like a v or maybe an upside down hook. Then when doing my current 1 stick/SRT hybrid method I could use the stick to push the tether up twice as high. This would mean moving my stick half as many times. Hmm.

Yes. Good idea. I hang from a secondary tether and push my climbing rope higher. I have mostly been stopped by branches at around 20 feet. I did attempt to throw a tether around the branches, untie my climbing rope and advance it higher. Hanging in the saddle for a long time is not fun while trying to do all this. 20 feet is high enough for now.

Yes. Good idea. I hang from a secondary tether and push my climbing rope higher. I have mostly been stopped by branches at around 20 feet. I did attempt to throw a tether around the branches, untie my climbing rope and advance it higher. Hanging in the saddle for a long time is not fun while trying to do all this. 20 feet is high enough for now.

I figure for the most part if you get to the branches at 20’ you’re good anyway.

Back