• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One Stick...Why rappel?

Jokerswild

Dec 11, 2019
So it fun.. its fast. Why not just climb down like you went up? Whole lot safer right? I suppose on a descent with branches the rappel my have an obvious advantage?

Working on my methods/protocols. Trying make my system as idiot proof as possible.

trailblazer75

Dec 24, 2018
Springfield, MO
Rappel is actually much safer. You’re tethered the entire time and there’s never slack in your line. One sticking down is hard because you’re working below your center of gravity. The safest way would be to get below your stick and move it down... by rappelling. lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNIPERBBB

Feb 19, 2020
SE Ohio
Just a lot harder to do anything going downwards than when your going up. Much safer to rappel as theres nothing to really worry about going down as long as your equipment is good and someone didnt put some punji sticks below you when you werent looking

Jokerswild

Dec 11, 2019
So I am working with a rappel backed up with an autoblock, Prett dang solid. That just leaves me with the choice of climbing...hanging....and hunting on the same line. VS switching to a rappel/tether for climbing vs hunting(and limbs)

ShooterMike

Aug 25, 2020
Caroline County, Virginia
So I am working with a rappel backed up with an autoblock, Prett dang solid. That just leaves me with the choice of climbing...hanging....and hunting on the same line. VS switching to a rappel/tether for climbing vs hunting(and limbs)

I stay on the same line. Changing to a tether introduces an opportunity for an error to be made. With SRT, depending on how high the rope is, I may add a tether at hunting height, but I still remain on the rappel line.

Semper Fi,
Mike

ShooterMike

Aug 25, 2020
Caroline County, Virginia
When one-sticking with a rappel line I keep slack out while ascending buy using 3:1 mechanical advantage as I climb up the stick. Minimize slack as much as I possibly can, and it’s just easier. My saddle has an austri-alpine buckle which has a CT RollNLock attached as a backup.
50e75931dd765e167ad811ed0266926c.jpg

Semper Fi,
Mike

mattsteg

Sep 26, 2018
I stay on the same line. Changing to a tether introduces an opportunity for an error to be made. With SRT, depending on how high the rope is, I may add a tether at hunting height, but I still remain on the rappel line.

Semper Fi,
Mike
I haven't tried it, but the concept of an OCB strap hooked around the tree to change the effective height of an SRT tether has occurred to me.

Reactions: ShooterMike

sdoyle1

Dec 23, 2019
I one sticked down once in a practice climb. I’ll never do it again unless its an absolute necessity. Rappeling is much safer in my opinion. It’s also faster and easier which are just added benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: wdarby

kyler1945

SH Member
Dec 4, 2016
Willis, TX
I found descending with one stick to be no more difficult or time consuming than ascending with one stick.

but rappelling is faster and less difficult.

no one telling you what to do. Do what you prefer.

iamcorey

Oct 24, 2018
I found descending with one stick to be no more difficult or time consuming than ascending with one stick.

but rappelling is faster and less difficult.

no one telling you what to do. Do what you prefer.

Same. Added benefit is less stuff to carry and pack out. Also no retrieving your rappel line which is a big plus in my book. Also the reason I prefer the cam buckle after trying other attachments. Just loosen and slide it down a little.

Reactions: scpokevin

LockStock&Arrow

Oct 18, 2016
I would love to see a video of the most efficient 1-sticker we have with full equipment complete a relatively fast, efficient , and smooth 1-stick down the tree after hours of sitting for a hunt comparable to 1 sticking up the tree at the beginning during the same hunt.

Additionally, a video of someone who has used their safeguard to repel less than 5 times. I would love to compare these two videos.

iamcorey

Oct 24, 2018
I would love to see a video of the most efficient 1-sticker we have with full equipment complete a relatively fast, efficient , and smooth 1-stick down the tree after hours of sitting for a hunt comparable to 1 sticking up the tree at the beginning during the same hunt.

Additionally, a video of someone who has used their safeguard to repel less than 5 times. I would love to compare these two videos.

What do you mean by full equipment?

Chickenhawk

May 9, 2018
When I first started one sticking, up and down, I hunted in an ice storm. Needless to stay it started after I was at hunting height. The climb down on a tree covered in ice was a nightmare!
Never one sticked down again. I now have 40' of Oplux. And I agree, much safer.

Reactions: dalton916

mattsteg

Sep 26, 2018
When I first started one sticking, up and down, I hunted in an ice storm. Needless to stay it started after I was at hunting height. The climb down on a tree covered in ice was a nightmare!
Never one sticked down again. I now have 40' of Oplux. And I agree, much safer.
Whether the weather/conditions change - or you change (e.g. you get cold, are compromised by an adrenaline dump, etc) - you want a method of getting out of the tree that you can safely snd consistently execute at your worst.

I feel like I've pulled enough stupidly risky descents (especially given my longstanding dedication to climbing into awkward positions), that starting to carry rappel gear and hunting hooked up to it is a sensible manuever.

Reactions: swd and woodsdog2

Chickenhawk

May 9, 2018
I hear
Whether the weather/conditions change - or you change (e.g. you get cold, are compromised by an adrenaline dump, etc) - you want a method of getting out of the tree that you can safely snd consistently execute at your worst.

I feel like I've pulled enough stupidly risky descents (especially given my longstanding dedication to climbing into awkward positions), that starting to carry rappel gear and hunting hooked up to it is a sensible manuever.

I hear ya

always89y

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Jan 2, 2019
Knoxville, TN
While there is no arguing that Rappel is much safer, I have gone back to climbing down (Im 2 tether climbing, not 1 stick.) For me, its plenty safe, and im not carrying all of that rappel gear. Ive gotten really good at it, branches or not. This year, I have gone strickly to 2 tether climbing and decending, and I dont think im going to go back. I hate managing the rope, coiling it, stuffing it into a water bottle holder, or wrapping it to fit into a rappel bag. I love the simplicity of carrying in a fanny pack with essentials, and nothing else.

Heres another point. I was using OPLUX with the Safeguard. One thing that made my butt pucker is the silver "lip" that retains the rope tends to let the OPLUX slip past. I dont think it is an issue, but it made me nervous.