• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One sticking in leaning trees

John 35

I’ve tried it and hated it. I made a one stick out of a cut down hawk, and I’ve been trying it out in different trees. In straight trees it’s fairly easy even though I’m new to it. In leaners I feel like I’m going to fall off to the side going up the aider, and I can’t let go of the stick to take slack out of my tether or advance it up the tree until I get off the aider. How do you one sticking veterans out there do it? I think getting that much slack in my tether is asking for trouble.

Not a vet by any means, maybe 50 climbs total under my belt.

If I'm working a leaner I definitely use my lineman. I also climb on the high side, contrary to a lot of folks preference. Are you digging you're toe into the trunk? Two or three step aider? Platform attached to stick?

I have the UP and once my foot hits the bottom step of the stick, I hook the platform with my calf for stability.

If it's a hard leaner I don't bother, but that hasn't hindered my hunting locations in my area.

I do my best not to fight gravity. Climb on the leaning side and whenever you get to hunting height you can swap around to the other side if that’s where you prefer to be.

I use a single step aider. Its a lot more stable, especially on leaning trees. I only have one step to advance then before I'm stable on the stick. If possible I also climb on the upper side of the tree. It gives me more stability while advancing the tether. Its a more natural position as I'm not trying to hold myself hanging away from the tree while advancing the tether.

I’d take @boyne bowhunter advice. I’m guessing he has more one stick climbs than 95% of the people on here.
I also prefer the high side of the tree and make my moves shorter. When I struggle it’s because I’m trying to get that extra 12 to 18 inches on my move and using the bottom step of my 3 step aider. When I shorten my move so I’m stepping straight into my middle step it’s much easier and more stable. Hardest part of climbing the high side is getting your foot into the aider because it’s laying against the tree.

I use a single step aider. Its a lot more stable, especially on leaning trees. I only have one step to advance then before I'm stable on the stick. If possible I also climb on the upper side of the tree. It gives me more stability while advancing the tether. Its a more natural position as I'm not trying to hold myself hanging away from the tree while advancing the tether.
Do you have a picture of your stick?
One stick & SRT is the only thing I haven't tried.

I try to avoid leaners, but if I must I try to climb the left or right neutral side of the lean vs the high side(aider collapses against the tree) or the low side (gravity pulls you away). If it’s a hard lean I don’t bother at all.

Do you have a picture of your stick?
One stick & SRT is the only thing I haven't tried.
Its a modified Hawk Helium cut to 23" (now you can just buy a short Helium but back then they weren't offered) with a Harken 150 cam cleat and 6mm accessory cord and a 24" GM Climb runner added as an aider. The aider has a zip tie installed in it ala a video on here presented by @SloMo to hold it open at the bottom. I just looped the runner around each leg of the lower stand off and added a zip tie to make sure it didn't fall off when not in use. I think it gives me an approximate 16-17" aider step.

1645196049769.png
1645196174994.png

I’d take @boyne bowhunter advice. I’m guessing he has more one stick climbs than 95% of the people on here.
I also prefer the high side of the tree and make my moves shorter. When I struggle it’s because I’m trying to get that extra 12 to 18 inches on my move and using the bottom step of my 3 step aider. When I shorten my move so I’m stepping straight into my middle step it’s much easier and more stable. Hardest part of climbing the high side is getting your foot into the aider because it’s laying against the tree.
I think you guys are right that I’m trying to get to much per move. The aider laying against the tree is another problem I forgot to mention. I wonder if a cable aider would work better?

I’ve tried it and hated it. I made a one stick out of a cut down hawk, and I’ve been trying it out in different trees. In straight trees it’s fairly easy even though I’m new to it. In leaners I feel like I’m going to fall off to the side going up the aider, and I can’t let go of the stick to take slack out of my tether or advance it up the tree until I get off the aider. How do you one sticking veterans out there do it? I think getting that much slack in my tether is asking for trouble.
Climb with your lineman's belt as well so you can go hands-free, to move your tether...

It tends to fall down the tree when I grab the top of my stick. Do you hang around on to your lineman’s belt while you climb?
I would look into some YouTube videos of people using their lineman's belt while climbing. It's hard to explain in words, for me, but it's easier to see someone actually do it.

I climb with a three step but on the upper aswell. It's far more natural and easy to stand that way. I also climb up and then sit on platform and advance tether up from there.

This^^ THATS why I vet taped my bottom step to the middle one for my short stick….it’s the short helium with the mini platform. My fave is the full length helium with single step aider.
BTW-I love my helium sticks!

Set your stick. Step into your aider so you are secure. Attach your lineman's belt. Climb up your stick. Adjust your tether. Get it set. Un do your lineman's belt so you can push off the tree. Reset your stick. Repeat.
That's how I climb with mine. Yes it is an extra 2 step. But.. I minimize the slack in my tether that way.

It tends to fall down the tree when I grab the top of my stick. Do you hang around on to your lineman’s belt while you climb?
I have recently discovered that while it adds a whole extra 15 seconds per move, lineman’s belt is critical for efficient one sticking. Can be done without it, but with lineman’s you can climb (holding only lineman’s) then you have the stability to reach down grab your tether then raise it much higher for your next move than if you were not on lineman’s. Once tether is up unclip lineman’s, do your move, use lineman’s climb, and on… if you do three moves without lineman’s then three with, I can almost guarantee you you will be higher up the tree when using it.

I think you guys are right that I’m trying to get to much per move. The aider laying against the tree is another problem I forgot to mention. I wonder if a cable aider would work better?
Buy some rubber coated cable(kinda of like a bike lock. You can buy it by the foot at Home Depot or Lowes)but buy a stiffer piece, usually 10-12 inches per step. Place inside your step and hockey tape it in place. Work great. Doesn’t add much weight and keeps your step open all the time.

I climb on the low side of leans....why would I want to fight gravity the whole time....I think it's personal preference and u will figure out which is best for u with practice/experience.

Back