• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One sticking Noob questions

arrowchukker

I have been watching a lot of YouTube on one sticking.

Trying to figure out how you one stick a tree with branches to get around? What’s the process for getting your rappel rope down?

Check out Staggs in the wild One sticking.

Basically it’s a use a lineman’s belt to hold ya while you move the tether over a branch. You pull up Rope now doubles as a pull down. Attach a biner to the tether right behind the knot and use that to pull the girth hitch loose from the ground. Make sure there’s no stopper knot in the tether. Pull up/down rope should by dyneemo or amsteel. Not paracord. It stretches a lot.

That video where his son climbs for the first time will show you all.

Also [mention]boyne bowhunter [/mention] has excellent videos showing different methods too. ThTs who got me into one sticking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have been watching a lot of YouTube on one sticking.

Trying to figure out how you one stick a tree with branches to get around? What’s the process for getting your rappel rope down?

Branches are passed while standing on your stick and attaching linemans belt, or 2nd tether and removing your tether to pass the obstacle, re attaching and continue climbing

I have a paracord length tied to a metal carabiner that I clip into my rappel rope behind the knot. Once your feet hit the dirt, you give the paracord a yank and pull your rope free.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Check out Staggs in the wild One sticking.

Basically it’s a use a lineman’s belt to hold ya while you move the tether over a branch. You pull up Rope now doubles as a pull down. Attach a biner to the tether right behind the knot and use that to pull the girth hitch loose from the ground. Make sure there’s no stopper knot in the tether. Pull up/down rope should by dyneemo or amsteel. Not paracord. It stretches a lot.

That video where his son climbs for the first time will show you all.

Also [mention]boyne bowhunter [/mention] has excellent videos showing different methods too. ThTs who got me into one sticking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Paracord works fine for most applications but the other suggestions above do work better.

Branches are passed while standing on your stick and attaching linemans belt, or 2nd tether and removing your tether to pass the obstacle, re attaching and continue climbing

So you’d have to rappel down in stages too? If not your rappel rope will get hung up on the branches I imagine?

So you’d have to rappel down in stages too? If not your rappel rope will get hung up on the branches I imagine?
Nope, as long as your rope reaches the ground its a one shot down. When it pulls loose it should drop to where you can pull it. If your tree has too many branches hook into loop and and walk 10ft away to pull down.

To get around a branch, use a 2nd tether or linemen belt to secure yourself to tree.

Attach a 'retrieval' line to the back of the quick link BEFORE you rappel down. And if you use some device like gear ties or stopper knots to keep your tether from loosening, remember to take it off or you'll be climbing back up to undo it.

Back