• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One Sticking With a Platform

Wirrex

Staff member
SH Member
I did a couple hunts with a modified lw stick that had a seat platform on the top and a 3 step aider on the bottom. It was super long but real nice for an all in one system where you can’t molest the trees.

Since then I have used the parts to make other platforms but I want to make a do it all system again just for public land hunts.

I am thinking of trimming down one of my lone wolf sticks and adding a xop seat and again with the three step aider. Rope mod for climbing and either ratchet or ocb once at hunting height.

Has anyone ran a similar setup?

I did a couple hunts with a modified lw stick that had a seat platform on the top and a 3 step aider on the bottom. It was super long but real nice for an all in one system where you can’t molest the trees.

Since then I have used the parts to make other platforms but I want to make a do it all system again just for public land hunts.

I am thinking of trimming down one of my lone wolf sticks and adding a xop seat and again with the three step aider. Rope mod for climbing and either ratchet or ocb once at hunting height.

Has anyone ran a similar setup?
Curious if you ever pursued this further?

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

I had someone build me just the set up you're talking about. I don't think the three step aider is necessary, mine is two an i'm reducing it to one longer one (1 1/2 step). I can't reach up high enough to need the 2 step even, one longer one is plenty. I guess someone taller might could use two, maybe. I can't remember what seat mine has on it... either XOP or lone wolf. The point at which you tie off to the tree on the stick, and how, while climbing is super important as the top of the stick has a lot of leverage and will pull off several inches as you pull yourself up, it's not really secure. But if you find the right place to tie off too, then it can be just as solid. I also switched to amsteel for both the tie rope and the cam-over rope. The reduced stretch was a big aid. I will say that this method won't be for everyone but I love it and I'm legal, lite, and quiet. I did readjust where the tie off is and it's higher up the stick which reduces the top leverage where it was pulling off the tree as one climbs up, but I'll be doing some more tweaking to it over time in this next off season.

My first year saddle hunting i was bringing sticks, then I went back to spurs, I loved the spurs as they are the fastest most efficient illegal way to climb LOL. I think the trees heal just fine, but they are loud on stand or if I take them off there are risks.. I almost dropped one last year. So I had someone build me out a single stick with platform. I don't feel comfortable posting pics of it for liability reasons and if he ever wants to build them commercially. I'd say it is more dangerous than using sticks, or sticks with a platform, or any other method. Of course it's not more dangerous than some of the homemade slings I've seen people use. LOL.

Back