• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One Sticking with Resc Tech

chutto12

I have been trying one sticking with 8 mm Resc Tech, and I'm having a hard time getting my hitch cord to grab. Every time that I get to a transition, and I attempt to load the hitch so that I can grab my one stick, it begins to slip and have to fight it to get it to grab. For you one stickers that use Resc Tech. What have you found that works? I'm using the Sterling 6 mm TRC that was recommended, but it takes a lot for it to grab. I'm currently using the michoacan hitch.

How long is your trc some fellas I know have a lot of slack I personally want about 4/5 inches of slack with my trc and when I go to the next transition I pull my trc up 6” above my belly then lean back to set it before I bend to grab my stick

How long is your trc some fellas I know have a lot of slack I personally want about 4/5 inches of slack with my trc and when I go to the next transition I pull my trc up 6” above my belly then lean back to set it before I bend to grab my stick

I would say that mine falls into the 4-5 inches of slack as well. I usually push the hitch as far as I can then lean back until it looks like it has gripped. It typically acts like it has a grip on the rope and then starts slipping once I fully load it with my bodyweight. I'm 230 lbs so I don't know if that would make a difference or not.

Have you tried a standard prussic with a hitch tender personally I use a Kong duck now days a lot less hassle

No personal experience with that particular setup but I would try a different hitch, perhaps the Swabisch or Distel. They both seem to lock up very reliably. You are right at the minimal end of the recommended difference between your main line and your friction hitch cord (recommended is at least 2mm difference) and that makes things a bit finicky.

Razorbak66 also hit on a very good point. Many friction Hitches I see people tying are really long. I prefer them about as short as practically possible. I find they lock up much more consistently and are just plain easier to use in the system when they’re not too long.

The other thing to consider is to upgrade to a 9mm rope. You might be surprised at the difference in function with very little difference in bulk overall.

I was about that weight but gone down since so weight shouldn’t matter much is the rope new maybe still has some coating in it. I didn’t have any problem with that rope or oplux and currently using canyon CIV I’m stumped. Definitely try some other hitches

Have you tried a standard prussic with a hitch tender personally I use a Kong duck now days slot less hassle

I started with Michoacan because I read that it gripped like the other hitches but was a little easier to break when adjusting. I have a Kong Duck that I may begin using, but I was trying to find some hitch cord that would just in case there was any type of fall. Didn't want the mechanical to cut into the rope if this happened.

I was using a schwabisch hitch on both my Oplux and the Resc Tech 8mm and it works well. Using the same eye to eye cord as you also. It tends decent with a mini 8 tender too.

I'm carrying a piece of the eye to eye in my roll pouch with my ATC to have a secondary method in case I don't like using the Safeguard.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

No personal experience with that particular setup but I would try a different hitch, perhaps the Swabisch or Distel. They both seem to lock up very reliably. You are right at the minimal end of the recommended difference between your main line and your friction hitch cord (recommended is at least 2mm difference) and that makes things a bit finicky.

Razorbak66 also hit on a very good point. Many friction Hitches I see people tying are really long. I prefer them about as short as practically possible. I find they lock up much more consistently and are just plain easier to use in the system when they’re not too long.

The other thing to consider is to upgrade to a 9mm rope. You might be surprised at the difference in function with very little difference in bulk overall.

I'll play around with the Schwabisch or Distel hitch as well as shortening the loops. If that doesn't work, I may have to look at moving to a higher diameter rope. Thanks for the help!

I’ve tried most all of the friction hitches out there, since I like to play with ropes, and settled on the Swabisch as I found it locked up quick and securely but would also release easily when I needed it to. I use it for all of my friction hitches except on my bridge where a plain Prusik works great.

To me the michoacan hitch worked well but had an overly large presence on the rope which I didn’t want. I also preferred the bit more captive way the swabisch was tied. More compact on the rope and it tends very will with a simple figure eight of Paracord.

I was using a schwabisch hitch on both my Oplux and the Resc Tech 8mm and it works well. Using the same eye to eye cord as you also. It tends decent with a mini 8 tender too.

I'm carrying a piece of the eye to eye in my roll pouch with my ATC to have a secondary method in case I don't like using the Safeguard.

I'll definitely give the schwabisch hitch a try. I also use an ATC below my hitch for rappel.

Just for reference this is how I've run it in testing and it works well. Very controlled. But before I say anything else I'm going to be clear and state that I am not certified climber or arborist and use at your own risk.
597a03f781876590069fef3acaa68132.jpg

Usually adding another wrap fixes things. I’ve never tried the hitch you’re using. I’ve always used distel or schwabisch.

Just for reference this is how I've run it in testing and it works well. Very controlled. But before I say anything else I'm going to be clear and state that I am not certified climber or arborist and use at your own risk.
597a03f781876590069fef3acaa68132.jpg

Looks very similar to my setup. I have a quick link tied by a scaffold knot, michoacan above main bridge, atc attached to secondary amsteel bridge and an autoblock attached to my lineman's loop.

Usually adding another wrap fixes things. I’ve never tried the hitch you’re using. I’ve always used distel or schwabisch.

I thought adding the additional wrap would fix the issue as well. Did you find that one works better than the other? Or did they operate about the same?

I thought adding the additional wrap would fix the issue as well. Did you find that one works better than the other? Or did they operate about the same?

I’m running Distel at the moment, they were close, but one did seem to bite a little more than the other if I remember correctly.

The smooth technora covers of the rope and core are causing the slipping. The long legs are also allowing the hitch to decompress too much, shorter legs will help. The VT also reacts this way to longer legs, both eyes and a loop. The cover of the TRC can be made a little bit baggy to make it grip better.

I use a schwabisch with Beal Kevlar with my oplux tether. I couldn't get the TRC to grab consistently, and adding another wrap made it hard to move occasionally. I use Resc Tech for my bridge and use a schwabisch with Beal for that as well, which I have found reliable.

I wish I was a headlight on a north-bound train

Back