• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One sticking with ring of steps

rutjr

This week end I decided to practice my one stick climbing. I decided to use a ring of steps to go with my Ultimate stick platform but they are just too small for my liking. I'm going to try some WE Steps as soon as it stops raining.
Does anyone else use that uses the Ultimate stick use something to go with it for more access to the tree?

While I don't have the Ultimate stick, I do one stick with the EWO ultralite stick with a shikar scout platform on the top step. I combine that with my Mission platform and really have a lot of real estate and options.

I used a straight scout with 3 squirrel steps on an OCB most of the season last year.

I just ordered the EWO Ultimate 1 stick tonight so itll be awhile before I get it. When I do Im going to basically try 2 sticking using the 1 stick w/3 step aider and a WEI step with aider which will also be used along with another step as a ROS when hunting. I didnt like the idea of 1 sticking at first but when I did it and repelled down I was sold. I just want to see if the WEI step and aider will be better than hanging in the tether to move the 1 stick. Worth a try.

I tried one sticking with squirrel stepps, but they don't get you far enough from the tree. You can do it easily with wild edge stepps, I reccomend a strong hook so you can pull the aider up while standing on your stepp and install another stepp, instead of 1 sticking with stepps. 3 stepps and a 5 stepp aider should get you close to 20ft.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I'm going to try out a ROS with my slanted scout on my mini Shikar once the weather allows. I have a set of 5 tree hopper steps on a OCB, a pair of ameristeps, and I pre ordered the new Hawk ones to try. Can't wait to give it a shot.

Went out today just to give the WE steps and EWO US combination a whirl. Got to say I like it.
e69c53586f6104cd552c45d0fc1d616f.jpg

I dig it. I have some WE stepps but I think I might have used them for the last time late season last year. Even after fiddling with them a bunch I could never get them stable enough to make me comfortable.

I absolutely hate WE stepps. We did not get along. Not the crappy half dead trees around here anyway. I couldn’t imagine setting 3 at the same level.

I have my early to mid season ROS being squirrel steps will be using the 1” ones this year on an OCB.

Late season the other ones which I don’t even know what they are but they are big. With a ratchet strap.

E6169E9E-ECEF-42D1-B109-A2E8AAC85654.jpeg

I absolutely hate WE stepps. We did not get along. Not the crappy half dead trees around here anyway. I couldn’t imagine setting 3 at the same level.

I have my early to mid season ROS being squirrel steps will be using the 1” ones this year on an OCB.

Late season the other ones which I don’t even know what they are but they are big. With a ratchet strap.

View attachment 45228

I don’t think I’ve ever seen those steps before. Are they new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i put 2 steps abot 3 inches apart on each side so one foot is on 2 steps.ball of foot and heal.can sit twice as long that way without hurting the arch in my feet.with a regulare cam strap i set the closest ones hard.so they and the strap angle up away from me.and i put each pair more towrds me about 4 o clock and 8 o clock on the tree.just what i found works for me.

Last edited:
Back