• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

OOAL Solo a Squirrel Step Combo Question

CrackbottomLouis

Would the strap for the solo after it is cammed over be sturdy enough to stabilize squirrel steps securely enough to stand on them or do you still need a separate strap that can be more securely tightened? I don't own either was just wondering.

I cannot answer your exact question but in my experience the squirrel steps need to be extremely tight to work very well. That’s why they often have the over center buckles instead of the pull strap type.

That's how I'm setup, granted, I still usually take my ridge runner instead, but mostly yes.

When you step on a squirrel it will droop, but only a little, the teeth of the solo keep you solid. I just tend to hunt bigger trees and and I'm not comfy unless my arches are on the solo and the toes are on either side of the tree.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I add two slotted squirrel steps to the strap of my solo scout and have no problems getting it tight enough with just the camming action of the solo scout. Yes, there’s a little squish at first (always be tethered in), but once everything is settled I don’t have any problems. Happy with it.

Hmmm. Wow. I just assumed it wouldn't work but had to ask. Is it stable enough to walk around the tree? Does the droop destabilize the scout at all?

Hmmm. Wow. I just assumed it wouldn't work but had to ask. Is it stable enough to walk around the tree? Does the droop destabilize the scout at all?

Yes, I can walk all around the tree. Yes, the scout may experience a little slip when you step back on it after stepping on the steps to settle them. I just step hard on the bracket of the scout to set it again and I haven’t had any problems once the steps and scout are settled. I’m not a huge guy. YMMV.

Always be tethered and have a backup plan on how to get down the tree when you do this. I would suggest you try it close to the ground a few times before you climb to height just to get comfortable with what it feels like.

The way the OOAL stuff cams putting weight on the back side of the strap will only tighten it down. Other platforms like the predator not so much. You put weight on a step on the strap you will probably have to recam the platform.

I use 2 squirrel steps on my predator strap with the stock buckle. When I set the predator I tighten the strap lower the platform stretching the strap and setting the teeth into the bark, then I raise the platform retighten the strap again then lower the platform again. Most of the time I am good to go and I can use the squirrel steps along with the top step of my sticks to get all the way around medium size trees. Most of the time the movement of the squirrel steps is minimal, sometimes it is a little more and if it gets too much I will retighten the strap however that is not very often. Differing tree bark will effecting how well this all works as well as body weight. I weigh 180 with out gear.

Keep in mind we all hang differently. Theres a difference between hanging in your saddle and putting 10% of your weight on a step to move around the tree vs 90% of your weight for those that mainly stand. Ive never had a step on a strap I like, but I mainly stand, hence I use a platform.

Back