• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Opinions on this spot

Nyhunt79

Saw this spot on the map and was wondering what your thoughts are on it. It’s kinda like a bench/saddle/3-ridge convergence

IMG_2470.png

Looks like a spot with a lot of human activity with those trails. That is not necessarily bad. I would start off looking at the highest spots on the topo and the lowest spots. That draw in the middle running east to west looks interesting as does the little high spot about middle screen overlooking the trail below. I can see a buck sitting on that little high spot watching that trail below. In my experience the deer trails tend to parallel the human trails as long as they have cover. Also, look for trails that are on the other side of a creek from where the people walk.

The good thing is that the deer will be somewhat accustomed to human scent and should not panic if they smell you.

I haven’t been in there in quite a while, but the “unnamed trail” is kind of a renegade 4-wheeler trail that kids use. I’m going to have to pop in there at some point as I have no idea what kind of human traffic is in there

Just in general I dont like that area due to amount of foot and wheeler trails but if I was going to try to find a spot to hang it would be where the E/W unnamed rd cuts the head of that draw. That spots looks like the best point of compounding features, head of the draw, old road, creek crossing and vegetation transitions or edges. I would check for a big scrape between the heads of the two draws to confirm buck use/travel but look at hanging around where the wheeler trail cuts the drainage if boots on the ground scouting warranted it.

I've found that if people stay on the trails it doesn't bother the deer very much. I've watched deer just freeze and wait for people to walk by and then go about there business. I also find a lot of deer trails running parallel to human trails. Usually they will be just far enough off the human trails to put cover between and the traffic on said trail.

Just in general I dont like that area due to amount of foot and wheeler trails but if I was going to try to find a spot to hang it would be where the E/W unnamed rd cuts the head of that draw. That spots looks like the best point of compounding features, head of the draw, old road, creek crossing and vegetation transitions or edges. I would check for a big scrape between the heads of the two draws to confirm buck use/travel but look at hanging around where the wheeler trail cuts the drainage if boots on the ground scouting warranted it.
It’s a pretty big chunk of state and there’s some small trails all over the place. You will be hard pressed to find a bunch of spots even a hundred yards from some kind of trail on the map. Some of them don’t even look like trails if you were there in person

Som
Saw this spot on the map and was wondering what your thoughts are on it. It’s kinda like a bench/saddle/3-ridge convergence
Some good info above. I’d also check out the spot where it says “75 calm” in the top right. You map doesn’t show what’s to the right of that area but I’d take a look there as there are 2-3 features converging there as well, and (without having that section of the map) the human intrusion aspect.

That flat area above the West-East running area “unnamed road” would appear nice as many of the trails will converge there, and appeal tempting, but the winds there could be swirling and not very friendly for almost all of the season. Stiff wind from one direction and a stupid buck could be shot there during the rut when they lose their minds.

Two other areas marked to look at on foot. One a saddle pinch point and another pinch point on the leeward side, hunt with a wind from the west.
DF131010-7CA0-4628-A9EC-603B6F8FE163.jpeg

That looks like a wider bench. Doesn't look like a saddle from the picture that I can see. Check the bench for rubs and a rub line. Don't let the trails stop you from hunting there. Deer will get use to bike or motorcycle trail and riders. Don't let a possible good spot to hunt go just because of a trail. I hunt by walking and bike trails with success.

I’m amazed at how much y’all see on aerials. I love reading this. Thank you

I’m amazed at how much y’all see on aerials. I love reading this. Thank you
When you are out scouting, mark the different types of sign you find with pins. Then go back and look at the aerial and and topo maps and look at the landscape level picture your pins paint in relation to topo features and vegetation changes or features, etc. I think that will help you get more comfortable with maps quicker than about anything. If you do that on some ground you know and what you see starts making sense, you can then apply it the other way with escouting, where you pinpoint the spots on your maps then go verify in person.

Back