• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Optimal Tether/LB for One Sticking?

515Raven

Hey folks, which ropes are best suited for a tether/lb combo for one sticking, Sterling Oplux, Camo Elite, Tethrd’s ropes, etc and a why? (I plan on having the as backups to the rappel line, which will be 40’ of 9mm Canyon Elite).

I am going to be ordering a madrock safeguard for my rappel line, and I’ll be ordering a saddle from CGM within a few weeks as well. Not sure if that plays into any of your answers.

There are so many options for saddle configurations I’m trying to avoid paralysis by analysis. Thanks!

Last edited:
I use 40' of 9mm Canyon Elite for tether and rappel with about 7' of 8mm static for lineman's as needed. Just pull out enough of rappel rope from roll pouch as needed for climb and tether, then drop the rest when time to rappel. Was carrying separate 8mm tether to climb and hunt from but prefer my current method. Don't have to switch ropes at end of hunt and less stuff to carry.
I use a ropeman 1 on my 9mm Canyon (out of spec but holds great) for the climb and hunt, then switch to figure 8 for rappel. I'm backed up with autoblock on my lineman's loop through full process. This works for me, besides at 58 yoa I'll probably be dead before any safeguards become available to try. Welcome to the madness and try as many different methods as you can. Good luck and stay safe!

sterling CIV canyon is my rope of choice. It’s the smoothest most controlled rappel out of them all.

I was not a big fan of canyon elite. A bit herky jerky on the rappel and 40’ weighs 1/2 lb more than the CIV. It’s also false advertised as 9mm. It’s really up over 10mm measured out.

I climb with my rappel line and use Oplux for my lineman’s.

I use 40' of 9mm Canyon Elite for tether and rappel with about 7' of 8mm static for lineman's as needed. Just pull out enough of rappel rope from roll pouch as needed for climb and tether, then drop the rest when time to rappel. Was carrying separate 8mm tether to climb and hunt from but prefer my current method. Don't have to switch ropes at end of hunt and less stuff to carry.
I use a ropeman 1 on my 9mm Canyon (out of spec but holds great) for the climb and hunt, then switch to figure 8 for rappel. I'm backed up with autoblock on my lineman's loop through full process. This works for me, besides at 58 yoa I'll probably be dead before any safeguards become available to try. Welcome to the madness and try as many different methods as you can. Good luck and stay safe!
Is the auto block a prusik or some other knot added at the end of the rope or something different? Thanks!

sterling CIV canyon is my rope of choice. It’s the smoothest most controlled rappel out of them all.

I was not a big fan of canyon elite. A bit herky jerky on the rappel and 40’ weighs 1/2 lb more than the CIV. It’s also false advertised as 9mm. It’s really up over 10mm measured out.

I climb with my rappel line and use Oplux for my lineman’s.
Good stuff, thanks! I ordered Canyon Elite for the rappel line, I just didn’t know if it mattered mixing rope types/sizes/etc for the other two, and which were solid with some of the popular hardware I see floating around a lot of the forums (rope mans, kong ducks, mad rocks, etc).

Is the auto block a prusik or some other knot added at the end of the rope or something different? Thanks!
Yes, the autoblock/backup is attached to the tether/rappel line and "carabinered" to R side lineman's loop (R hander) below the ropeman with no slack in the rappel line as it runs to the remaining rope secured in the roll pouch. There are several youtubes that show versions of this. You can use whatever friction hitch you choose for the autoblock. There's a million ways to do all of this, this is just what has worked for me.

Appreciate all knowledge. Understanding I’ll probably tinker with my set up a few times, I’d like to get as close to right off the bat.

Back