• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Out On A Limb - The Podium Review

DOMMA

I just recieved my Podium on Wednesday, 02/06/19, and thought I would give you my first impressions. You can see the product at: https://www.outonalimbmfg.com/product/the-podium-2/

I purchased the Podium because of the size, weight and the fact that it folds flat making it easy to pack.

I tried the Podium on 5 trees with the following circumference; 18", 33", 45", 53" and 76". 18" is the smallest possible, 76" in the largest possible. The Podium felt solid in all of these trees. You have to insure that you apply equal weight initially to "seat" the platform and allow the teeth to bite into the tree. Once "seated" it is secured to the tree and allows you to stand on the corners without shifting/moving. There was no squeaking and the grid did seem to provide some traction.

I will modify the strap to permanently secure one side to the podium for ease of use, particularly if installing in the dark.
Picture2.jpg
The teeth do a decent job biting into the tree:
Picture3.jpg
The leveling feature is nice and does work but needs improvement. The screw size seem to small and the threading is too fine. It was 22 degrees and I had to take off my gloves to turn the screws, it took way too long and my hands were numb when finished.
Picture4.jpgLeveling feature is nice:-
Picture5.jpg
Screws are too small and the tread is too fine:
Picture6.jpg
Works on big trees:
Picture7.jpg
Overall, I think the Podium will serve as viable platform for a wide range of trees. At $139 the price seems reasonable for the functionality, I have not found a more economical off-the-shelf solution. Also, installing a 3 lb platform is easy and once I permanently secure one side of the strap to the podium, it should be even easier. I hope this helps anyone considering purchasing.

Last edited:
Man, they changed that design fast... that’s a totally different animal than the one on the video from the ATA.

Great low price possibility. I do still like the cam action on a diy XOP or predator though. As much side pressure as I put on a platform, I don’t know that this would hold without slipping.

This would be absolutely perfect for having a few pre-set trees on private land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta give the guy credit for listening to criticism and treating it as constructive criticism.

He has been quick to make changes that guys are complaining about and trying to provide a useful saddlehunting platform.

The materials or design might not be everyone’s preference but I applaud his efforts!

Man, they changed that design fast... that’s a totally different animal than the one on the video from the ATA.

Great low price possibility. I do still like the cam action on a diy XOP or predator though. As much side pressure as I put on a platform, I don’t know that this would hold without slipping.

This would be absolutely perfect for having a few pre-set trees on private land.

I like the predator design better myself but believe this one cams over also but the entire post cams over. So you tighten the strap with the top of the post toward the tree then push the post down and towards the tree. At least that’s how one of the earlier models worked.

Gotta give the guy credit for listening to criticism and treating it as constructive criticism.

He has been quick to make changes that guys are complaining about and trying to provide a useful saddlehunting platform.

The materials or design might not be everyone’s preference but I applaud his efforts!

Yep. Props to Matt for listening and tweaking the design. Good review OP!

You are correct - when I called to order my platform, the owner volunteered that his original product was criticized on Saddlehunter.com. He used the criticism to change his design. He changed the dimensions, shape, mounting style, bolts for securing the straps and the strap itself....essentially, nearly everything from his original design changed. I too give the guy credit for changing his design to meet the market demands.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review . Looking at the pics, it seems like using a versa strap would let you get it into a smaller tree. What is the distance between the teeth?
Thanks.

Thanks for the review . Looking at the pics, it seems like using a versa strap would let you get it into a smaller tree. What is the distance between the teeth?
Thanks.
It’s a 4” channel 6” diameter is about as small as I have tried, that’s an 18” circumference

I believe he is talking circumference 6” diameter tree

Correct - I meant circumference, so 18" circumference = 6" diameter (smallest). The largest, 76" circumference = 24" diameter.

Of course, these are my initial findings, not sure what the factory suggests.

I do have to say, this guy reacted quickly and implemented a big improvement right away. That bodes well for future generations of products from this company. I will definitely be paying attention to what he continues to come up with.

Back