• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

gcr0003

SH Member
Headed out west to Oregon with the Mrs. and the dog. We are camping along the way. We will make it to Denver today, then the rough plan is to take i70 to arches and Moab, up through salt lake through Tetons, then trying to see some of Yellowstone before headed to crater lake in Oregon.

Anyone have recommendations on camping near Moab, Salt lake/Provo, Tetons, and outside Yellowstone? For Tetons and Yellowstone I’m hoping to find a place a couple hours outside it so that we could make day trips in and check out the major sights. Were looking for any scenic roads like the alpine loop in utah and/or light “off road” trails to hit as well.

Also curious how far away from camp to store food and how high in a tree for bears? Any other tips for camping in or around bear territory? Thanks!

Last edited:
Headed out west to Oregon with the Mrs. and the dog. We are camping along the way. We will make it to Denver today, then the rough plan is to take i70 to arches and Moab, up through salt lake through Tetons, then trying to see some of Yellowstone before headed to crater lake in Oregon.

Anyone have recommendations on camping near Moab, Salt lake/Provo, Tetons, and outside Yellowstone? For Tetons and Yellowstone I’m hoping to find a place a couple hours outside it so that we could make day trips in and check out the major sights. Were looking for any scenic roads like the alpine loop in utah and/or light “off road” trails to hit as well.

Also curious how far away from camp to store food and how high in a tree for bears? Any other tips for camping in or around bear territory? Thanks!
Generally 15 feet off ground and 8 feet out from tree, 200 or so feet from camp. If that’s not attainable air tight containers and not in the camp.

If you don't mind, keep us updated with some pictures of your camp setup and cool stuff you see. Me and my wife were out in southern Colorado last year. Loved it! We camped a few nights, went to a wedding and camped a few more on the way back home. Could not get her to camp anywhere they recommended bear boxes Have fun!!

Drove through the mountains of colorado and past all the ski resorts on i70 and into Utah yesterday evening. Then we took the 128 scenic byway into camp. 6FA42021-5F29-4457-B5D8-70377DDFA092.pngThe scenic byway gives you awesome looks at a lots of towers before entering a smaller red rock canyon that follows the Colorado river toward Moab. There are several primitive campgrounds along this stretch of the river. Here is our camp site on the Colorado river before arches for the day. I’ll spare the pic dump and just say y’all need to go there if you haven’t!52F9AB3F-4530-4E7A-8AC6-A28AFA5E0622.jpegB29926A6-4563-4335-9D3F-1CFF3605FBDC.jpegCE9A49D4-E649-42AF-B22B-953F15A26C6C.jpeg

Last edited:
Out of order pics but a few from yesterday and today. After Arches NP we went through Canyonland NP, which also had spectacular views. We’re headed up to Wyoming tonight and hopefully Tetons in the morning. We aren’t staying anywhere special tonight, just somewhere a little past halfway to Tetons.F7FFC95F-D5DC-4C3A-9E75-2FDD19CE8C61.jpeg463709D8-F340-4E7F-8B7A-56322CB7DF62.jpeg72E5DB7A-2276-498D-A220-38F214ADD087.jpeg

The scenic byway gives you awesome looks at a lots of towers before entering a smaller red rock canyon that follows the Colorado river toward Moab. There are several primitive campgrounds along this stretch of the river. Here is our camp site on the Colorado river before arches for the day. View attachment 88857View attachment 88855
Man, I’ve got pics that look just like this but different. Haha that’s probably all of the west. My wife had a miserable but of course now memorable night tenting in a canyon along the Colorado outside of Moab before visiting Arches. Never slept in windier weather. Hope you guys made better memories! Super cool pics.

Man, I’ve got pics that look just like this but different. Haha that’s probably all of the west. My wife had a miserable but of course now memorable night tenting in a canyon along the Colorado outside of Moab before visiting Arches. Never slept in windier weather. Hope you guys made better memories! Super cool pics.
It wasn’t our best night of sleep. Extremely hot and windy. It finally cooled down to 70s around 1-2am. We did see some shooting stars from the tent which was neat. I jumped a big ole deer bedded down by the camp in the morning.

Back