• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Outerwear

mattpsu1

SH Member
I’ve worn mostly Scentlok for the past several years and I really like their stuff for the most part. Usually get good deals on sale stuff. Have not had any major durability issues and the material on most stuff has been pretty quiet. And they have a lot of options to choose from…when you can find your size. Recently I decided I wanted to try some First Lite gear. The hats and gloves I had purchased are really nice so I ordered a pair of the Obsidian Merino pants in Specter and had planned on completing a set with the Sawtooth Hybrid jacket. I have to admit I was not overly impressed. I only tried the pants on for sizing but do not think I love the material and it just feels like it might not be very durable. So a few questions, anyone using these and how have they held up and do you like them? And what other companies should I give a look? I haven’t decided yet if I’m keeping or returning these. Like I said, I really wanna like them.

I’ve heard mixed reviews on the durability of the Merino pants.

I have a few pair of their corrugate guide pants. When I first got them, I thought there was no way the material would hold up. I’ve put them through the ringer and haven’t had any issues. They’re the best hunting pant I’ve owned. They come in some earth tones as well. I’m not a huge camo guy so that was nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you haven't bought the sawtooth yet, don't. I have the vest and it really doesn't do much, I think a jacket form would be annoying. I do wear a Klamath pretty much anytime I'm out as long as it's not too warm. I bought a second that i wear around the house 90% of the time. It's really not that warm, but I love the hood and it just provides that little extra layer without overheating when you're walking, or if you work in you're unfinished basement. I've used the obsidian merinos through last turkey season and deer season and I wear them pretty much anytime the temp is above 50-55 or if I'm walking and it's over 40 (layered appropriately with merino base layers). Point being I've worn them pretty good and I love them. I know what your saying about the material though, it's weird and I had the same concerns as you but the fit and breathability are great. They soften up a bit with time and a wash or two (use good technical/merino wash). I thought they felt nearly tailored to my exact size and the fit is better than any other pant I've ever worn. No concerns yet with construction. I had a pair of the guide light pants before these that I completely destroyed on one shed hunting trip. Walking through knee high briars, not thick, just enough to be annoying, and they are shredded. I've been through that area with the obsidians, though not to the same extent, and they've held up fine. That said, I'm not sure it's the toughest stuff out there and you can definitly find more durable items for much cheaper. For me, though, I really appreciate the fit and breathability. I've always had crappy pants, usually without a button, and these are like a breath of fresh air. If i'm going out brush busting I'll wear my already shredded pants or something else, but these come out with me 85% of the time. I have enough of their stuff now that I would tend to avoid them aside from base layers and maybe pants. In my experience, FL stuff is really nice for active hunting and/or when the wind is low, but anytime the wind blows it cuts right through. It's great for getting in the woods, but I need something to better cut the wind when I'm in the tree. Looking at huntworth, natural gear, UA rut bibs, and I just got the Anorak from Kings camo that I really like so far.

If you haven't bought the sawtooth yet, don't. I have the vest and it really doesn't do much, I think a jacket form would be annoying. I do wear a Klamath pretty much anytime I'm out as long as it's not too warm. I bought a second that i wear around the house 90% of the time. It's really not that warm, but I love the hood and it just provides that little extra layer without overheating when you're walking, or if you work in you're unfinished basement. I've used the obsidian merinos through last turkey season and deer season and I wear them pretty much anytime the temp is above 50-55 or if I'm walking and it's over 40 (layered appropriately with merino base layers). Point being I've worn them pretty good and I love them. I know what your saying about the material though, it's weird and I had the same concerns as you but the fit and breathability are great. They soften up a bit with time and a wash or two (use good technical/merino wash). I thought they felt nearly tailored to my exact size and the fit is better than any other pant I've ever worn. No concerns yet with construction. I had a pair of the guide light pants before these that I completely destroyed on one shed hunting trip. Walking through knee high briars, not thick, just enough to be annoying, and they are shredded. I've been through that area with the obsidians, though not to the same extent, and they've held up fine. That said, I'm not sure it's the toughest stuff out there and you can definitly find more durable items for much cheaper. For me, though, I really appreciate the fit and breathability. I've always had crappy pants, usually without a button, and these are like a breath of fresh air. If i'm going out brush busting I'll wear my already shredded pants or something else, but these come out with me 85% of the time. I have enough of their stuff now that I would tend to avoid them aside from base layers and maybe pants. In my experience, FL stuff is really nice for active hunting and/or when the wind is low, but anytime the wind blows it cuts right through. It's great for getting in the woods, but I need something to better cut the wind when I'm in the tree. Looking at huntworth, natural gear, UA rut bibs, and I just got the Anorak from Kings camo that I really like so far.
So I did reconsider and tried the Obsidian pants out for a walk and climb and actually do love them so they’re a keeper. Any experience with the Whitetail Catalyst Jacket?

I do not have the catalyst jacket but I do have the pants. They're not as warm as my cabela's fleece lined soft shell so I really only use them if it's cold and I plan to say moving, or maybe stand hunting in the 50's if it's going to be a bit colder at the start or end of hunt. If you want a good warm jacket it's probably not what you're after. If you want a true mid season jacket, or you want it for activewear purposes and you're not expecting much insulation I'm sure it's a great jacket. But again, I've got a nice soft shell cabela's jacket for probably less than half the price. In my expereince, their stuff breathes really well but does not lock in heat for extended periods on stand.

i don't think there is any reason to spend a lot of money on outerwear, unless it is your waterproof system

i have some expensive high loft goose down insulating layers and some expensive waterproof outerwear

i do not look to my outerwear for warmth, i pack that in as goose down and put it on once in the tree or stationary on the ground

for outerwear, i can't recommend enough midwayusa store brand, they have basically replicated under armour in materials and design

if you wait for an off season sale, you can get a very nice camo jacket with all kinds of zipper pockets for less than 50 bucks

i also like their bibs a lot, the only downside is the front zipper is only 1 way, but you can fix this easily with this added to the bottom of the zipper

i feel people can build their own system better and cheaper than can the galaxy brains at these companies that charge 200 bucks for some polyester pants with cargo pockets....there are no secret materials, there are no secret designs...there is simply decent quality materials and good stitching or not

the big hiking companies figured all this stuff out for us, and the top end hunting companies just mimic their stuff....which brings me to another point....i use hiking brand stuff as much as possible as it is cheaper and just as good if not better than the top hunting brands

Last edited:
Back