• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ozone

Babybooner

anyone have any input on whether or not it is safe or a good idea to put my muddy pro climbing sticks through a treatment of ozone? I’ve been out making sets the last few weeks and I know that I’ve rubbed against the rope which I’m sure absorbed some odors. Any information from you guys would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

@bassboysllc is our ozone expert.

I would feel comfortable doing it.

Only thing to watch with ozone is some elastics... some are fine others will break down.

Other than that.... treat it all.

I treat all my gear and have only messed up the elastic strap at the top of a pair of boots.... no biggie.

I run a 110v unit to treat everything, shove a towel under the closet door and run a heavy concentration for an hour.
I then pack everything into bags/totes that were also treated with ozone and then run ozonics while hunting.

Ozone is awesome, it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too think it would be ok. I just don’t want to make a mistake and ruin them since they come at a decent cost.

anyone have any input on whether or not it is safe or a good idea to put my muddy pro climbing sticks through a treatment of ozone? I’ve been out making sets the last few weeks and I know that I’ve rubbed against the rope which I’m sure absorbed some odors. Any information from you guys would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I have put my ropes and saddle both through many ozone treatments with no obvious side effects.

That sounds like a full proof plan!! I’m definitely going to have to try that system out. I’m new to both the ozone and saddle hunting this year, so every little detail I can gather will help!

I don't think it's just elastics that can be damaged by ozone. I've heard "Certain textiles, leather, rubber, and certain plastics...." But I think shorter treatments for deodorizing aren't really a problem.

Anyone have a better source of info?

I would avoid shock concentrations...
A mild concentration with an overnight exposure is more than adequate for deodorizing.

I have ozone washed every piece of my hunting gear before each hunt for 2 straight years. Neither the sit drag, nor the ropes show any degradation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious about ozone and scentlok. Would you use ozone on your scentlok cloths? If so do you ozone it then activate it or activate it then ozone it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That being said UV isn't good for any thing either so just airing it out in the back yard might not be the best option either. I wouldn't leave my bow, (specifically the string) in an enclosed ozone space but attachments i think are ok. I'm not thinking there will be any issues with a saddle/tether/lineman's belt. Every elastic strap I have has been essentially destroyed by ozone. I sometimes run a little heavy though with it.

I'm curious about ozone and scentlok. Would you use ozone on your scentlok cloths? If so do you ozone it then activate it or activate it then ozone it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Activate it then ozone. Ozone before washing will also help clean the garment.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the insight fellas. Good luck to all you guys this upcoming season!!

I have an ozone generator for the car and one that goes in my clothing bags. Works great but I would definitely keep elastic and rubber items out of my ozone treatments.

I also own Muddy Pro Climbing Sticks and have ozone treated them multiple times. I have not seen any signs of anything I can say was caused by ozone. I built a closet which has a opening and pouch for my Ozonics unit. Everything except my bow goes in there. I wear scentlok gloves and have no problem setting my steps while wearing these.gloves

Continuous ozone exposure is never a good idea. Treat your stuff. Don't leave it on. More is not better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
How long/ how much Ozone would be a treatment in your mind? Should I leave it on over night before a hunt and not use it otherwise?

Just curious......has anyone noticed a difference using ozone or ozonics from before to after use. I
Clarification........seeing game or being winded before using ozone and after using it. Ozonics is another thing to carry with you to the woods but it may be worth it.

Clarification........seeing game or being winded before using ozone and after using it. Ozonics is another thing to carry with you to the woods but it may be worth it.
I never used an in-field O3 unit but I do treat a lot of stuff pre-hunt, especially boots. I've done it for at least 8 years now and I can say without a doubt that the ground odor I leave is very much reduced. Deer seldom spook when they cross my entrance trail.
Stuff that I can easily launder will get minor O3 treatment. I will give my clothes for the day a quick O3 treatment, but I always wear fresh clothes so I'm not sure O3 will do much for them, but I still give them a light treatment in a garbage bag...usually run it for a short time while I shower.
Boots, bow, and the inside of my truck are the things I concentrate an O3 treatment.

O3 is hard on rubber (and elastic which has rubber...that's what makes it stretchy) but as far as shortening the lifespan rubber boots, I'm willing to live with the trade-off. I will buy a new pair every 3 years if O3 keeps ground odor to a minimum. residual ground odor is one of the most over-looked aspect of odor reduction.

Back