• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ozonics, proper placement?

USMC5831

So I’ve ordered an Ozonics unit. I’m still sceptical, but figure I can sell it if I'm not impressed.
I don’t Personally know anyone who uses one from a saddle. From what I’ve read, you want the stream of ozone going over top of your head, to kinda “cloak” your scent stream.

So, from a treestand with your back to the tree, the unit would sit much lower to arch overtop of your head.
Obviously in a saddle, you face the tree, at an angle no less.
My question is how should I place this thing so it’s not it blowing a carcinogen directly into my face, but overtop of my head?
Anyone got any experience using this thing, and have any suggestions?
Thanks fellas!

I don’t use mine every hunt, I use it if the wind switches or I’m hunting a just off wind. I put it about as high as I can reach b/c your out away from the tree.........

The extension arm can be handy on some sits if you have one. Just use your best judgement on every sit. You want the stream to go down into your scent as close as possible without going on you. Being right above the tether is common for me. Practice in your yard if you can. I’m a huge believer. On my property, ther are no ponds or lakes or cliffs where deer will not travel. Nathan

Thanks for the replies. I hunt in hill country in KY. the winds are NEVER consistent, and swirl no matter where I seem to set up. I can count too many opportunities blown by swirling winds on shooter bucks to not know for 100% if it works or not. If it don’t impress me, I’ll list it, and lose 75-100 bucks. But if it buys me 5 seconds or two more steps on a shooter, it’ll be worth it to me.
I’m sceptical, but I’d rather KNOW it’s fairy dust, than just THINK its fairy dust.

Not my words (of course). From one source, and there are pages of research out there just like this. Also, I have a close friend who is the premier deer tracker (with hounds), in Michigan. He's taught me more about deer hunting in the past five years than anyone but Eberhart.

Quote:
Let�s put this in perspective by �chasing a rabbit� for a moment and looking at how well a dog can smell and what they can smell. This may assist us in gaining insight in regard to just what we are up against with the nose of a whitetail deer and a deer�s ability to smell. The reason this information is important is because you must realize the whitetail deer�s sense of smell is nearly 1/3 greater than that of a canine or dog. Smell is the dog�s dominant sense, thus because of this we can assume a whitetail deer�s sense of smell is also the dominant sense. So much so that a huge part of its brain is devoted to analysing odours. Dogs and whitetail deer have two giant olfactory bulbs attached to the brain which decode every smell they encounter. The bulbs weigh around 60 grams, four times as much as human olfactory bulbs. Given that a canine brain is one tenth of the size of a human one, that means the canine brain has forty times as much of its brain devoted to smell as we do, and the whitetail deer sense of smell is even far greater than that.

Little wonder then that a dog�s sense of smell is reckoned to be so much greater than a humans. In tests dogs have been able to pick up chemical solutions that form one or two parts in a trillion. That is the equivalent of smelling one bad apple in two billion barrels. This is relative to a whitetail deer�s sense of smell as some hunters believe they can cover their human scent with cover up scents. Wrong! If the whitetail deer can smell better than a dog we just read that even a dog can pick out different scents from the same area, at a rate of two parts in a trillion. Don�t mean to hurt any whitetail deer manufacturer�s feelings but you cannot cover your human scent from whitetail deer. Impossible.

We’ve kinda derailed from the topic I wanted to address.
I wasn’t really looking for a debate on wether ozone works or not.
I’m sorry, if I came off that way.
I’ll be the first to tell you, Hunt how you want to. It’s supposed to be fun.
The internet is full.... and I do mean full, of forums where guys ask “does ozone work” and 1,347 people, who have never tried it laugh back and fourth; and tell the guy how ridiculous the very notion is.
Who cares?
Right now, on this very fourum, there is a thread where people are getting their jollies, by donning beach attire and hunting deer. That’s great! It’s supposed to be fun, right?
We can dig up “scientific” studies comparing tracking dog noses vs. deer noses etc. all we want.
But at the end of the day, my retired blood tracking mutt will still eat a damn cat turd.
So I’m not 100% sure how his nose compares to a whitetail.
So what the hell, I’m going to try it.

It’s not a magic pill, if you aren’t aware of your wind situation I cannot see it being remotely effective. But in the right scenario it’s an advantage, sometimes you just need them to take that extra step. I’m not trying to make believers out of everyone......... but I’ve seen it work when I should’ve been busted. This is just my personal experience.

Thanks for the replies. I hunt in hill country in KY. the winds are NEVER consistent, and swirl no matter where I seem to set up. I can count too many opportunities blown by swirling winds on shooter bucks to not know for 100% if it works or not. If it don’t impress me, I’ll list it, and lose 75-100 bucks. But if it buys me 5 seconds or two more steps on a shooter, it’ll be worth it to me.
I’m sceptical, but I’d rather KNOW it’s fairy dust, than just THINK its fairy dust.

The same attitude exists to most things guys have never tried or tested properly.
Give us your opinion when your done. I expect many of the negative reactions are from guys who have never given it a fair test. It is hard to get objective information on these things but a subjective opinion will still be of interest to me.
A very very successful hunting guide whom I respect uses one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was hunting the edge of a picked cornfield; December, about 4 " of crusted snow. Watched a buck working the far side of the field at the treeline; walking steadily at a good pace. He suddenly stopped, nose in the air, and then turned 90° and bird-dogged about 30 yards into the field. Began pawing at the snow, and came up with a half ear of corn. From what I've read, sniper4hire's numbers are correct...20-40% more olfactory receptors than the best bloodhound. I'm a vet, and we do the Richmond Capitol Police K9 unit;, both apprehension and bomb/drug dogs. I know what those guys can do; I figure if the Ozonics worked, every drug smuggler and terrorist would have caught on by now and would be outfitted with the latest tech. OTOH, my buddy uses it, swears by it and is quite successful. Then again, he's always been successful; well before Ozonics.

I'm in the same boat, just got one. I hunt in very mountainous country, no fields, all woods.
Wind constantly swirls and changes. Went opening morning, wind was forcast out of the SE and blew all morning out of the NW, go figure.
My time in the woods is precious, so I'm trying it starting this weekend. Gonna hang it right above my tether. If it works fine if it doesn't , oh well. At least I'll know for my self.
And I'll still be in the woods, that's what matters

The same attitude exists to most things guys have never tried or tested properly.
Give us your opinion when your done. I expect many of the negative reactions are from guys who have never given it a fair test. It is hard to get objective information on these things but a subjective opinion will still be of interest to me.
A very very successful hunting guide whom I respect uses one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I bought one a few years back for hunting sika deer in the hill country, they busted me... Then I tried it for hunting mature hogs.....they busted me. I returned the ozonics and bought lone wolf climbing sticks with the money I got from the ozonics. I think just like scentlok, it may give you a few extra seconds, but nothing can beat a mature deers sniffer.

I bought one a few years back for hunting sika deer in the hill country, they busted me... Then I tried it for hunting mature hogs.....they busted me. I returned the ozonics and bought lone wolf climbing sticks with the money I got from the ozonics. I think just like scentlok, it may give you a few extra seconds, but nothing can beat a mature deers sniffer.
Amen...

So I’ve ordered an Ozonics unit. I’m still sceptical, but figure I can sell it if I'm not impressed.
I don’t Personally know anyone who uses one from a saddle. From what I’ve read, you want the stream of ozone going over top of your head, to kinda “cloak” your scent stream.

So, from a treestand with your back to the tree, the unit would sit much lower to arch overtop of your head.
Obviously in a saddle, you face the tree, at an angle no less.
My question is how should I place this thing so it’s not it blowing a carcinogen directly into my face, but overtop of my head?
Anyone got any experience using this thing, and have any suggestions?
Thanks fellas!

I don’t use one but my buddy does. I think it is set as high as he can reach upwards. I guess you get the waterfall of ozone or whatever. I ozone my clothes but was always too cheap to try this haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright, went Saturday. Hung my unit about 1' above my tether. Had a 6pt walk about 25 yards away, and yes, down wind. Deer stopped, winded, looked in my direction then proceeded on his way. Unalarmed.
Was he older, no
Did I spook him, no
Here are some other things I did as well-
Showered in no scent soap
Had on a pair of scentlock coveralls
Wearing rubber boots
Also hit my gear with ozone before I left home
That's it.
Was it perfect, I don't know, but I loved what happened, so who knows but I really enjoyed watching a deers reaction to my first use of an ozone unit.
And most of all, God blessed me with a beautiful day in tbe woods.

I use one. Had a young buck hang around downwind of me last year for about 5 min. Never busted me from 15 yards and I was only 10 ft off the ground. Was it Ozonics? Maybe. Keep in mind ozone is heavier than air and will sink. So if you place if on your tether or above directly in front of you you may be getting a pretty good dose right in your face. I hang mine on my gear strap below my waist for that reason. Also takes care of the farts that way.:)

Back