• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

PA Hunter”s Safety Course

Gr33n Arrow

So, today I had the honor of going through the PA Hunter’s Safety Course for the 4th time... with my 3rd son.

As they got to the section on Treestand Safety, I nearly derailed the course to add a PSA about Saddle Hunting and the true nature of “safely hunting.”

I chose to behave and only slightly jumped in, but felt obligated to discuss weight limits of all of the different type of stands out there and how hunters must take into account the added weight of their layers, bag, bow or gun and boots (all of which are coming factors of consideration within this forum, seeing how “weight conscious we are) only to have the instructors, who have been teaching this course for 40 years and 15 years each replying that “they had never thought of that and that it was an absolutely great thought that they needed to add to their teaching.”

I came so close to walking out with my son while saying “Son, we really don’t belong here... there’s a much better way!”

Don’t worry Saddle Nation, my boys are being, and will be, taught the ways of the saddle!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was a bowhunter safety instructor for years in PA. Started before the Game Commission took it over. It use to be a 2 day course and it was held at Sportsman clubs and it was hands on. It was the National Bowhunter Education Foundation that ran the course back then. The the Pa Game Commission took over and it was a 10 hour class with field training and classroom training just like when th NBEF had it. Now all you need is a computer to take the course. Nice thing about me being an instructor was I got to sign my sons NBEF card when I taught him the course.

Back