• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pack Modularity and Integration

bowhunthard88

SH Member
I was asked by someone about my pack setup, and I believe that this may be the best forum section to elaborate, even though no permanent modifications were made. While I would love to create an "article" post, I am choosing to create a thread with multiple posts and some pics. Feel free to chime in and/or ask questions, although by no means am I an authority on this subject. Many of the ways that I have chosen to do things may work for me, but it doesn't mean that they will work for everyone, or that there isn't a better way!

I have used several systems over the least few years, but I finally have settled on something that I think is worth keeping (until something else "better" comes out lol, cue 5 minutes...). I bought several separate components and then with some brain-storming I figured out ways to integrate them and created a "mostly" modular system for myself. This system allows me to be most efficient for what gear is necessary and the specific style of each hunt; from a two hour post, to an all-day rut sit, to a week-long camping trip... I also recommend creating "kit" bags or similar, so that when systems get switched, critical equipment doesn't get forgotten! I won't get into what stuff that I have used previously, but here is my current list of items:

- Exo K4 pack: the bag really doesn't matter, but for whitetail "day" hunting I have mine set up with the 2200 bag and no lid. I do own the lid, a 3600 bag, and the 5000 bag, along with extra straps/accessories and the ability to add the lid to the 2200. Choosing to add the lid will get me some extra CI without needing to change the bag as the season progresses and additional layers are needed, or for overnight trips. I have the waist belt set up with pouches chosen for their utilitarian purposes in locations that are accessible when and where I need them (i.e. if I'm in a tree, as a righty, I have access to the left side of the pack belt without movement). I also have the waist belt set up to suspend my saddle from, if I choose to wear it in, and that negates saddle sag or even noticing that you're wearing the weight of a saddle setup at all.

- Battle belt setup: this setup is something that took some trial and error to put together. I tried a few different belts but ended up with a High Speed Gear Laser Sure-Grip Padded Belt. I installed the EWO Lineman's loop belt setup with the rated Cobra buckle so that I can climb sticks, etc., without having to transition to my saddle attachment points. I set the belt up as a glorified fanny pack setup with the Kifaru Claymore Gen2 in the back, a water bottle carrier to the right, and a pocket to the left. I also added a pair of compression straps behind the Claymore pouch for layers, etc. The battle belt also has the corresponding saddle suspension setup, and attachment points to utilize my chest rig as shoulder support.

- FHF Gear Chest Rig Gen2: I have this fully setup to run fast-and-light by itself if needed. I have the following FHF accessories installed: E4 Pouch (front), Foundation Wings (left and right), Wind+Call Pouch (left), E3 Pouch (right), and the General Purpose Pouch (underneath). This setup can cover me for short early season hunts. This system will integrate into my pack suspension by removing the shoulder strap setup and buckling it into place, which carries very well because of how the weight is distributed. I can can also integrate this into my battle belt setup as a shoulder support system (read suspenders).

- Kifaru Sherman Pocket: I can add this onto the back of my pack for additional compression and storage space, or I can add this onto my chest rig shoulder strap system and battle belt system. Adding this onto the chest rig/battle belt will essentially give me a small backpack or water bladder compartment.

- FHF Blaze Panel: Unless I have the Sherman Pocket installed on the pack, this lives on my pack. This supplies extra compression and coverage while adding an extra easily accessible pocket space. Blaze out if it's firearm season, blaze in if it's bow season!

Buckles are your friend, and I have a lot of different friends! There are many choices and the only important part is that they are cross-compatible, in this case. Everything buckles, hooks, or clips into place and it only takes moments to remove and/or switch systems. This is my final rendition, for efficiency, of various configurations that I found to work, or not. The only two systems that cannot be run together are the pack and the battle belt, in any case, this would be a choice of one or another. I am attaching a photo of various buckles, straps, webbing, etc., that I may have used to help create an integrated modular system. While this photo shows quite a few options, I do know that there are other pieces that I used that are not pictured.

I will try to add to this thread as time allows, with pictures, the individual pieces that create the system.

Attachments

• 20230830_212507.jpg
    20230830_212507.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
When you say your battle belt has the corresponding saddle suspension setup what exactly does that mean? Do you just wear it over your saddle or have you used some straps and connectors to attach it?

I looked at that ewo lineman loop belt and notice it doesn’t have the hook and loop to keep it from sliding inside the HSGI belt. Does it work fine with out it or does it slide around some?

I have a HSGI setup and would love to use it to slim down for presets or stalks. I don’t have anything minimalistic currently.

When you say your battle belt has the corresponding saddle suspension setup what exactly does that mean? Do you just wear it over your saddle or have you used some straps and connectors to attach it?

I looked at that ewo lineman loop belt and notice it doesn’t have the hook and loop to keep it from sliding inside the HSGI belt. Does it work fine with out it or does it slide around some?

I have a HSGI setup and would love to use it to slim down for presets or stalks. I don’t have anything minimalistic currently.

I added small plastic d-rings to the front portions on the top webbing of my saddle and a buckle in the back. Both my pack and my battle belt have the corresponding hanger-mates installed so that it will hang just below your load-bearing waist belt. I set the connections so that it is easy to transition to the saddle (remove all belt support) without removing your pack, belt, or saddle.

I did buy some adhesive velcro and installed it on the EWO belt to keep it from shifting, although the molle attachments for the Claymore act as belt loops. I also purchase some neoprene/velcro buckle covers too, in order to reduce metal contact.

Another point to note is that the length/spacing of the loops on the EWO setup has to correspond with the gap spacing on your belt! I only found two belts, that I tried, that actually lined up lol.

Last edited:
Another point to note is that the length/spacing of the loops on EWO setup has to correspond with the gap spacing on your belt! I only found two belts, that I tried, that actually lined up lol.
I have the same belt as you except mine is sewn molle. The laser cut came out right after I bought mine. So I would think it should work since it’s almost identical to your setup.

If you get time could you add a picture of the belt working with the saddle? It can wait till you are actually using it if it’s put up. No rush.

I have the same belt as you except mine is sewn molle. The laser cut came out right after I bought mine. So I would think it should work since it’s almost identical to your setup.

If you get time could you add a picture of the belt working with the saddle? It can wait till you are actually using it if it’s put up. No rush.

I'm going to try to document the whole system as time allows! I do wear the battle belt a bit higher than my regular belt. The saddle to battle belt concept has been around a while, I'm probably late to the party, but maybe I just did it differently...

I'm going to try to document the whole system as time allows! I do wear the battle belt a bit higher than my regular belt. The saddle to battle belt concept has been around a while, I'm probably late to the party, but maybe I just did it differently...
I think I'd understand your setup with a video a bit easier than I'm picturing now. I like modularity and MOLLE pouches, but mostly just use small compression sacks in my pack for kill kit, batteries/headlamp/etc., scent lures, and so on.

I think I'd understand your setup with a video a bit easier than I'm picturing now. I like modularity and MOLLE pouches, but mostly just use small compression sacks in my pack for kill kit, batteries/headlamp/etc., scent lures, and so on.

Pack organization is another topic, but I do utilize compartmentalized "kits" as well. The pack modularity refers more to the ability to tailor what "storage" you are carrying based off of what gear you need to carry. For example(s): an early season short sit requires minimal gear, so there is no reason to carry a pack; but if it's late-season or I need to be able to pack the deer out, I'll need a pack. It also could depend on whether I'm using the Mini-Drey or the Cruzr setup, because the Mini-Drey doesn't need any support!

With this system I can choose to wear any single piece separately (except the Blaze Panel or Sherman Pocket), or integrate the chest rig into either the pack or the battle belt setup for additional storage or support.

We run very similar equipment and from what I’ve seen the way you do it suits my needs the best. Thanks

Battle belt setup layout above saddle.
01.jpg

Battle belt layout (back) above saddle.
02.jpg

Left saddle connection point.
03.jpg

Center saddle connection point.
04.jpg

Right saddle connection point.
05.jpg

Saddle connected to battle belt setup.
06.jpg

Left saddle connection point, connected.
07.jpg

Center saddle connection point, connected.
08.jpg

Right saddle connection point, connected.
09.jpg

If hiking with the saddle supported by the battle belt: the saddle belt is worn loose or unclipped with the ends tucked into the dump pouches and the leg straps are disconnected and attached to the rear kydex molle hooks as shown. The hooks also function as my platform carrier(s) (in conjunction with paracord loops on the platform) during ascension and descension.

Chest rig with battle belt suspension installed (easily removable).
01.jpg

Chest rig showing from battle belt suspension points.
02.jpg

Battle belt rear suspension connections [also shows Sherman Pocket top attachment points (brown)].
03.jpg

Close up of rear battle belt harness suspension connection.
04.jpg

Rear battle belt suspension disconnected.
05.jpg

Chest rig and battle belt, from back/top, showing connected front suspension points.
06.jpg

Front/left battle belt suspension point.
07.jpg

Front/right battle belt suspension point.
08.jpg

Rear battle belt suspension point.
09.jpg

Close up of rear battle belt suspension point.
10.jpg

Complete battle belt setup integrated with chest rig and Sherman Pocket with saddle underneath.
01.jpg

Complete battle belt setup integrated with chest rig and Sherman Pocket.
02.jpg

Sherman Pocket, front.
03.jpg

Sherman Pocket, back. Side buckles are a split-bar type and would be removed if actually being used in this configuration. The side buckles facilitate the installation on my Exo K4. I also don't know if I'll continue to use the Kifaru bottom attachment points or replace them with Slik-Clips, although the Kifaru attachment hardware is much heavier duty (this isn't for heavy duty use, so...).
04.jpg

Sherman Pocket top left attachment point loop and Marsupial Gear hardware attachment.
05.jpg

Sherman Pocket, installed onto chest rig harness, top view.
06.jpg

Sherman Pocket, installed onto chest rig harness, rear view.
07.jpg

Sherman Pocket and Claymore (battle belt) attachment loop points and hardware.
08.jpg

Sherman Pocket and Claymore (battle belt) attachment loop points and hardware, installed on the left side.
09.jpg

Sherman Pocket installed on battle belt setup.
10.jpg

Excellent thread. I’ve been developing a very similar strategy, creating a modular system that I can quickly assemble the right gear for the day without having to reconfigure all my gear for every hunt.

Thank you so much for taking the time to put this all together. It blows every other thing I’ve read about stuff like this out of the water. I’m currently chasing down parts to get something similar setup.

I'll post more regarding the Exo K4 integration when time allows, as well. I won't be discussing the Exo K4 itself or bag removal etc., but just how I set up the system to function the way that I wanted.

Just gonna leave these here lol:

Last edited:
Used something similar this season. For turkey I liked carrying the FHF chest rig as a shoulder bag. Have to limit how I pack it when climbing. Too much and it gets in the way.

I like the lineman loop idea with battle belt. Haven’t added a back pack however I did run a separate camelbak with those thing flat straps and it worked well.

Back