• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pack Position on Tree

bnimtz

Where do you guys hang your pack on the tree? After my few first sits, ive been hanging my pack, a stone galcier avail 2200, at about the 4-5 o'clock position on the tree at about torso level. Just interested what other guys are doing. I like bringing it up so I have all my stuff up with me and I strap my bow to it climbing up the tree if it won't get caught on the way up. Using a HYS strap.

Same but 6 o’clock since I’m a lefty and I go a little lower than waste. How do we do a rope and prussik so its easy to raise and lower? Is it paracord and Zingit or can you do paracord and paracord Prussik?

Southpaw so reverse everything.
21ce157d7f2d7c7d111c247c392ead13.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

What about height? I'm a rightie and run mine at 3 o'clock....but I'm considering putting it down low so that if I have to rotate for a weak side shot I"m not rolling on my pack.

I set my vest a little below tether height at the 2-3 o'clock....high enough that it won't interfere with me rotating around the tree

I hang my pack at 9 to 10 o'clock at torso level. Right side for my xbow at 2 to 3 o'clock.
This set was low and I had to stoop down to get to my pack. Xbow was reachable. I try to get to height, the gear strap on the tree and pull my xbow up and get it loaded and hanging first before pulling up my pack. That way if a deer was to walk by I could shoot it.

Last edited:
Eberlestock Bandit. 3 o’clock.

Attachments

• A0113472-D641-4D20-9B20-92711D7C461A.png
    A0113472-D641-4D20-9B20-92711D7C461A.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 78
I tried something new (for me) yesterday. I took the tag end of my tether and tied it to the pack's grab loops.
I let it hang just below platform height but exactly how high it's hung is adjustable.
If I need something, I just pull it up to access the pack.
Pack position has always been frustrating to me. Anything around shoulder height blocks vision (I hate looking around anything hanging on the tree), hanging on the back side of the tree is a pain if I want to find something, and pretty much everywhere else above the platform has the potential to interfere with a shot.
I realized one other benefit of hanging it off my tether...it keeps the clinch tight on the tree. Less tether slippage with it that way.

I have a thicker paracord (some number above 550) tied to my pack's top. I then have a Nite Ize Cam Jam Xt on that cord. I girth hitch around the tree by clipping the Cam Jam back onto the cord that is running through it. I think this evening I'll try hanging at 3 oclock but then letting it to just below platform level. It's out of the way and to get it all I have to do is fish it up with the cord that is girth hitched at torso level.

3-4 o’clock on my right hand side. Bow on left at the 7 ish position. I use my water (tether/LB, stick straps) bottle holder to hold my thermos on rt side and all the calls and jazz on my left. Don’t really need anything out of the pack once on stand.

I have a thicker paracord (some number above 550) tied to my pack's top. I then have a Nite Ize Cam Jam Xt on that cord. I girth hitch around the tree by clipping the Cam Jam back onto the cord that is running through it. I think this evening I'll try hanging at 3 oclock but then letting it to just below platform level. It's out of the way and to get it all I have to do is fish it up with the cord that is girth hitched at torso level.
That is similar to what I'm doing except that I just use the tag end of my tether instead of a dedicated cord for the pack. Im already wrapping a rope (my tether) around the tree so its nice that it can do double duty. No need for a separate cord for the pack. Less to mess with.

Southpaw so reverse everything.
21ce157d7f2d7c7d111c247c392ead13.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Southpaw too. Put my stuff just like you....unless I am in a split trunk tree or close to another tree. In that case, depending on where the other trunk or tree is, I like to use those sometimes to eliminate as much clutter from my shooting tree as possible. It can be situational.

Back