• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Permethrin for ticks

kwgoke

With doing more training hikes (for my hunt out west) and shooting at the range with tall grass I’ve been finding a tick of two every trip out, so thought someone might appreciate a reminder to spray their stuff down. I use Sawyers in one of these garden sprayers to get all my stuff at once and get it done super quick!
766f14dff487c2c29ef00b2899743c6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is just a suggestion i use
0EA3F8E0-9A8C-4902-A034-B575F5DDA638.jpegMy good friend which is also a member on here @Jhand told me of a product you can get at tractor supply or amazon
Here it is and its concentrate so measure , mix, spray , or dip. Whatever is easier.
i think i paid 8$.
alot cheaper than sawyers.
it also supposed to last alot longer than a few weeks. I fid all my stuff in this last week.
there is a but of a smell but definitely not as strong as saywers.
It really works really good and is 99% animal safe.
the only animals it bothers is cats it does somthing to their neurologic System and can kill them.
I do this maybe twice and i do also spray-down with off before going into and wooded or tall grassy areas.

good reminder....just heard about alpha gal tick disease....scary

permethrin is the only thing i've found to work on ticks....DEET and picardin and such don't do it and DEET will fog and melt plastic (i wear plastic lens glasses so this is a particular concern)

seems like at least Sawyers permethrin takes a long time to dry....i can spray my super light synthetic hiking pants with it, leave it in the sun and wind to dry, come back a few hours later and still wet.....regular water would have dried off totally

If you're mixing your own, find a concentrate without petroleum distillates. I used one of those once and the odor was terrible. I mean give you a headache if you wore the clothes in a small room bad.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

where do you find a concentrate without petroleum distillates in it..? THATS THE BIG QUESTION. it wont last long without it.

Amen brotha. Ill take ticks any day over chiggers. Ughhhh

As long as we're not talking about the ticks with a white spot on them (here locally, anyways). I know in most areas, any tick can carry Lyme, spotted mtn fever, etc. For my area, alpha gal is the biggest concern.

But that's the beauty of permethrin is that you're killing both "birds" with that stone.

where do you find a concentrate without petroleum distillates in it..? THATS THE BIG QUESTION. it wont last long without it.
Standard disclaimer: I am not a medical expert nor a chemist. All information provided is for entertainment purposes only and is not to be construed as or relied upon for any purposes.

Martins Permethrin 10% Livestock Dog Kennel Ticks Fleas 16oz ,product_by: pcostore it#22121388111885 https://a.co/aFt4bUX

I have used this and it does have a slight odor, but not bad.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Here's the link for diluting the concentrated stuff you can buy at Tractor Supply, Farm and Fleet, etc. : https://sectionhiker.com/permethrin-soak-method-guide/

Sawyer is 0.5% so I shoot for that when diluting the concentrated stuff and it works out great for insect protection. If you follow the dilution on the bottle from the farm stores, it's overkill and I don't feel comfortable putting that next to my skin but maybe that's just me...

The formula for calculating a dilution is (C1) (V1) = (C2) (V2) where...
  1. C1 is the concentration of the starting solution.
  2. V1 is the volume of the starting solution.
  3. C2 is the concentration of the final solution.
  4. V2 is the volume of the final solution.

Last edited:
As far as I know we don’t have chiggers in northern Ohio… I was scouting in southern Ohio 5 years ago and sat down on the ground for lunch - big mistake… it was on the drive home that I discovered what chiggers are!
They are bad in North east Ky chiggers are so bad I can't even go in my yard without getting them and ticks. I was shooting my bow last night and have bites sucks!!! We also have the big ticks with the white dot and the really small ones!

Last edited:
That's the way it is here in Mississippi. The ticks are especially bad this year. So far, knock on wood, the chiggers have been hit or miss.

Hey

Here's the link for diluting the concentrated stuff you can buy at Tractor Supply, Farm and Fleet, etc. : https://sectionhiker.com/permethrin-soak-method-guide/

Sawyer is 0.5% so I shoot for that when diluting the concentrated stuff and it works out great for insect protection. If you follow the dilution on the bottle from the farm stores, it's overkill and I don't feel comfortable putting that next to my skin but maybe that's just me...

The formula for calculating a dilution is (C1) (V1) = (C2) (V2) where...
  1. C1 is the concentration of the starting solution.
  2. V1 is the volume of the starting solution.
  3. C2 is the concentration of the final solution.
  4. V2 is the volume of the final solution.
hey hey hey don’t sneak algebra into my hunting. I’m trying to enjoy myself here

As far as I know we don’t have chiggers in northern Ohio… I was scouting in southern Ohio 5 years ago and sat down on the ground for lunch - big mistake… it was on the drive home that I discovered what chiggers are!
Oh lored they are like demon spawns from hell.

E89D9A02-E89A-4946-913F-FB907480DC16.png
As an experiment I’m going to use this on my hunting clothes this year. It works really well for its intended purpose and has permethrin. I think it will work and be cheaper.

Back