• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

That time again, Permethrin!

swampsnyper

Sprayed everything down in permethrin for the year again. It was still working this summer since I sprayed it last year this time.

bb99d4efe16d94eaf1d0ed3622eb2db5.jpg

do you just spray everything for the entire year down? Spray down your cold weather gear too? I have never sprayed anything down but I want to try it out!

Pants/shirt and socks combo is a good deal. Compare that to the cost of permethrin for applying every 6 weeks and having to keep up on applications, definitely a win in my book.

Permethrin treated and lasts 7 years or 70 washings.

The only place I now apply permethrin is on my pack.

I believe I read that applying the liquid or spray is only good for 6 weeks or 6 washings.

Does this last from year to year? I have a bottle from last year. Shelf life?

Just treated my clothes again today. I’m gonna use your garden sprayer idea next time. Much easier than a hand squeeze to pump spray bottle.

Pants/shirt and socks combo is a good deal. Compare that to the cost of permethrin for applying every 6 weeks and having to keep up on applications, definitely a win in my book.

Permethrin treated and lasts 7 years or 70 washings.

The only place I now apply permethrin is on my pack.

I believe I read that applying the liquid or spray is only good for 6 weeks or 6 washings.

I only applied it once last year around this time. Figured it was washed out but went hog hunting in Texas this summer and my buddy was tore up with chiggers and I didn’t have one bite. I take that as it’s still working.
I don’t wash my clothes everything I wear them. Usually throw back in tote after a hunt unless it full of mud or blood or lots of sweat. But definitely more than 6 washes for some garments. I think Sawyer’s says it’s good for 6 washes.

I spray it on whatever I plan to wear the next day as I go (pretty much every trip out in the summer, reduced to every few wears in the fall) and typically only apply it to my outer layers. After contracting the Alpha Gal allergy from a tick bite almost 20 years ago, I don’t mess around with those (literal) suckers...

I refuse to use Permethrin after my buddy who was in the 101st Airborne in 2004 got lymphoma at 19 years old. He said they sprayed their uniforms in Permethrin, and there are theories that's what caused the cancer. He compared it to my generations Agent Orange. Don't really know if thats true, but thats enough for me not to use it

I refuse to use Permethrin after my buddy who was in the 101st Airborne in 2004 got lymphoma at 19 years old. He said they sprayed their uniforms in Permethrin, and there are theories that's what caused the cancer. He compared it to my generations Agent Orange. Don't really know if thats true, but thats enough for me not to use it
Personally, I think your odds of contracting a tick-borne illness are far higher than getting cancer from permethrin (when applied properly). Could be that those boys got their concentration way off (i.e., spraying 10% permethrin on their gear instead of 0.5% (recommended concentration)), or applied it directly to their skin, both of which could be problematic. But, I have no concerns about using permethrin so long as I use the right concentration and let my clothes dry before wearing them. That said, Picaridin is another chemical out there that you could use, and it's advertised as being skin-safe (better than DEET, too).

I figured there was a down side. I got a feeling inhaling thermacell fumes is gonna have an I’ll affect as well. Just like they say spraying round up does. I’m doomed anyway I look at it.

Assuming your buddy joined at 17, he thinks he contacted a cancer from 2 years of permethrin exposure? I've been using it a lot longer than that and as far as I know I'm still 100% healthy.....it is a requirement hunting Florida IMO....

I keep waiting to hear pvc pipe causes cancer.....I'd guess there is millions of miles of it in the earth

Last edited:
I only applied it once last year around this time. Figured it was washed out but went hog hunting in Texas this summer and my buddy was tore up with chiggers and I didn’t have one bite. I take that as it’s still working.
I don’t wash my clothes everything I wear them. Usually throw back in tote after a hunt unless it full of mud or blood or lots of sweat. But definitely more than 6 washes for some garments. I think Sawyer’s says it’s good for 6 washes.

Glad it is working for you. I tend to sweat a lot, so gamehide clothes give me peace of mind. And when butchering, I take a tick and put it on my gamehide clothes, and within 15 seconds, it falls off dead.

As long as we are keeping safe from the tick borne diseases, it is all good!

Assuming your buddy joined at 17, he thinks he contacted a cancer from 3 years of permethrin exposure? I've been using it a lot longer than that and as far as I know I'm still 100% healthy.....it is a requirement hunting Florida IMO....

I keep waiting to hear pvc pipe causes cancer.....I'd guess there is millions of miles of it in the earth

It is my understanding that the military impregnated combat clothes / BDU’s with permethrin, like gamehide does.

If it were a concern, there would be many more military and former military with cancer.

What I am concerned with is spraying the permethrin on my clothes and the wind changing and blowing the wet spray back into me and my hands getting invariably wet with the leakage, splash from the permethrin. In my mind, that exposure is worse than wearing the permethrin impregnated clothes.

But then again, that is just my thoughts on the matter. Everyone should do their own investigations and make decisions appropriate to their own risk tolerances.

Back