• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Personal Property Presets

Wirrex

Staff member
SH Member
The house we are buying is situated on 20 acres of good huntable land. I am going to be setting up several trees and am wondering what guys are using that won’t be damaging to my trees with repetitive use on this small piece of land.

I am a run and gun spur guy, sitting in a different tree every hunt in my other spots. At home I am looking to have some more permanent setups for easy morning or after work hunts.

I am considering a rope and ascender type of setup at the moment. Maybe I’m over thinking it and bolts are just fine. Call me a hypocrite but I care more about the trees I own lol.

What do you guys think?

How many spots are you talking??
I primarily hunt run-n-gun saddle but on a few small farms that I hunt it just makes more sense to have presets in place. My presets are typically the “cheapo” climbing sticks you can get off sportsman’s guide or academy and I bring my platform with me.

On these small farms there’s only a few spots that make sense to hunt so it’s not like you’ll be hunting a different tree every time.

It might make sense to even hang a couple cheap lock-ons?

Yep, like @EricS and @KYHunter said it just makes sense to throw up some cheap sticks or ladder to leave up all season. I also have one old ladder stand that I used last Friday and climbed right up past it to setup - need to put a small permanent platform up there. In another location I don't have any good trees prepped yet, but I have an old box blind that overlooks a food plot. Not saddle hunting but still use it sometimes.

While I love the mobility of my setup, I still have multiple trees that are pre-set with ladder sticks on public. I get there, climb up, set platform and hunt.

I have just over 16 acres of my own property of great mountainous hunting land in my back yard. I used bolts and screw in t's for ros last year, and just bolts this year. I have an extremely hard time even finding the holes from last year. I honestly think the screw ins cause less damage because they don't take any material out of the tree really, but I"m also more inclined to leave them in afterwards, so...

If I started with a left foot hole the year before, I start with a right this time so I'm not drilling holes right next to each other and they will be competely healed by the time I drill one the next year.

4617006874648bfdb7b959076d2e332a.jpg

Whatever you do, don’t leave strap on sticks on too long. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one spot I leave 30 feet of climbing rope for the season and even left my DIY platform since September. The snowfall this year has kinda ruined the location but if we get a warming trend it's going to be awesome.

El cheapo climbing sticks. Put them up before season. Just make sure you take them down (or at least loosen the straps) after season...the trees swell during the summer.

You could just leave a paracord loop in multiple trees and use one piece of rope for them all. It takes a minute or two to get the rope up a tree with a preset loop. Just girth hitch the loop to your rope and pull it up. No UV damage to your climbing equipment since you don't leave it out in the sun 24/7.

I have one spot I leave 30 feet of climbing rope for the season and even left my DIY platform since September. The snowfall this year has kinda ruined the location but if we get a warming trend it's going to be awesome.
You're not worried about squirrels damaging your rope?

You're not worried about squirrels damaging your rope?
I'll post an update at the end of the season when I take it down, I just wanted to see how it holds up and the rope and platform were sitting in a bag in the basement collecting dust....its located between food plots that are covered in snow and stealth is important there...

I'll post an update at the end of the season when I take it down, I just wanted to see how it holds up and the rope and platform were sitting in a bag in the basement collecting dust....its located between food plots that are covered in snow and stealth is important there...
Please do! I'd like to see how it turns out. I've considered this in the past but others made me leery due to concerns about squirrels, UV, weather, etc.

I put a rope up a tree in my backyard for a few days and I noticed the cover was frayed afterwards. It is 11.4mm Bluewater assault line so pretty tough stuff. The squirrels could do quite a bit of damage if I gave them two months and they didn't want that rope in their tree. I wouldn't trust it to support my weight after a few weeks in the tree now.

As others have said, yup. I have a really good spot on a farm that sits in a draw/defile/wash whatever you wanna call it, the deer go there as it collects all the scents and thermals so my hunting partner and I hung a guide gear stick and larger stand there. We just take it down during the summer so the tree can grow, then throw it back up before season.

Back