• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Phantom first impression

Treehopper2

SH Member
Well my phantom was waiting on me on the front porch when I got home from work today.
First impression feels about the same overall weight as my large mantis. The leg loops feel much better than the mantis for how I like my leg straps for walking in with it on.
The comfort channels seem to really make a difference on this saddle vs “sally” and they feel to hold position very well.
As for the bridge this may be the perfect bridge for how I like my setup to feel.
This design really seems to cup very well and it’s a much better feel in that area over the mantis.
Linemen’s loops are great and easy to see and get to. Only issue I found with them is they seem to flap around while walking but that was an easy fix I just ran the bridge tag end through the loops and tucked the rest in my pocket which holds them tight to you.
You barely know you have this thing on when walking and climbing.
I ran the tether high and low and could find comfort in about any position which with the mantis I could only run a chin high tether for how I like a saddle to feel.
I mostly lean but I felt very comfortable setting in this design and this may change how I saddle hunt or at least add flexibility for very long sets.
With all this said keep in mind I really liked a large mantis and this is a one hour quick set.
I’ll know more with a few longer sets and hunting in it this fall but I can already tell it’s a great saddle and a big improvement over the mantis and other saddles I’ve tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How short can u get the bridge with no pinch ?

How short can u get the bridge with no pinch ?

I didn’t measure it but I’m guessing I had it down to maybe 20”or less and didn’t feel any pinch with 34”waist.

It quit raining here so I ran out for a quick sit in mine (got mine today as well) and I would agree with what you are saying. As far as comfort though, that is a little tough to tell until I get a few hour sit in it. I was pretty comfortable in my Mantis as well.

How do you like the Phantom compared to the JX3 you used to have (thanks again BTW)? I realize it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges, just curious if the long sits in the phantom could be as comfortable as the JX3. I feel like it would be hard without back support.

How do you like the Phantom compared to the JX3 you used to have (thanks again BTW)? I realize it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges, just curious if the long sits in the phantom could be as comfortable as the JX3. I feel like it would be hard without back support.

Hard to compare those to saddles
For comfort.
The JX3 is on a comfort level no soft saddle can achieve regardless of maker or design.
But IMO the JX3 is to restricting for shot opportunities for my style of hunting.
I wanted the JX3 to work for the comfort level alone but with my recurve I felt a soft saddle was needed at the moment of truth.
Again this is my opinion for my style of hunting and I’m not bashing the JX3 it’s a fine piece of equipment and very very comfortable.
But I just enjoy a phantom style saddle system for its simplicity.
To answer your question NO it will never be as comfortable as a JX3 for long sets.
But we set long hours waiting on game that may only give us one very quick opportunity and I feel the phantom gives me the comfort needed with the flexibility I need to pull off more shots than a JX3.
Hope this makes sense and answers your question.

Hard to compare those to saddles
For comfort.
The JX3 is on a comfort level no soft saddle can achieve regardless of maker or design.
But IMO the JX3 is to restricting for shot opportunities for my style of hunting.
I wanted the JX3 to work for the comfort level alone but with my recurve I felt a soft saddle was needed at the moment of truth.
Again this is my opinion for my style of hunting and I’m not bashing the JX3 it’s a fine piece of equipment and very very comfortable.
But I just enjoy a phantom style saddle system for its simplicity.
To answer your question NO it will never be as comfortable as a JX3 for long sets.
But we set long hours waiting on game that may only give us one very quick opportunity and I feel the phantom gives me the comfort needed with the flexibility I need to pull off more shots than a JX3.
Hope this makes sense and answers your question.

Thanks! That does help

Got back out today for a few hours sitting in the phantom.
Took about a mile walk with it on and it feels great you forget it’s on.
I don’t normally carry much on my saddle other than tether and linemen’s ropes in a dump pouch and that was fine.
I found for me a good starting point is tether eye level and carabiner about hands length away from the tree using ropemen1.
I also found about hands length of the bridge tag end hanging out is a good starting point for me.
We are all different this is just a couple quick reference points for me to start with each set. I’m sure I’ll adjust as I go for the hunt.
If you bigger or smaller in size from my 34” waist I’m sure this will change.
On a side note I’m a leaner mostly and I wanted to show any new guys using a predator how I adjust it.
I don’t run it 90 degrees to the tree. I like it angled away to match my feet angle.
cf7c12fd3cb96b814005af380b770ce0.jpg

Last edited:
I found I’m comfortable at the same height and distance on the tether too and I make a fist with my right hand and the width of that is how much is left on my tag end.

I am about same with adjustments but I only use the edge of my predator so I like it level. I use the side edges just as much as the front.

Went back out this evening to another tree working on my setup and found my tether height and bridge for comfort was at about the same setting as this morning.
The comfort channels do seem to work like they where designed.
I can use the middle spot and be comfortable for both leaning and setting then fine tune it depending if I set or lean on which spot I go to.
494416af852307a9be843ab55e704f19.jpg

Went back out this evening to another tree working on my setup and found my tether height and bridge for comfort was at about the same setting as this morning.
The comfort channels do seem to work like they where designed.
I can use the middle spot and be comfortable for both leaning and setting then fine tune it depending if I set or lean on which spot I go to.
494416af852307a9be843ab55e704f19.jpg

What biner is that and do you like the screw locks? I always used auto locking, but have been interested in screw lock

Just Curious. Why do you tilt the platform so far down?

I prefer mine tilted down a little as well. It is more comfortable on my feet. I don't put as much tilt as he does, but I do like some.

Just Curious. Why do you tilt the platform so far down?

I normally lean and I try to match the platform angle to my bodies leaning angle so I have more surface area to rest my feet on.
I use the edges for working around the tree if needed for a shot but I don’t normally stand on the edge.

Back