• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Phone Safety in the saddle

Spur

Does anybody do anything special to their phone to mitigate dropping it? Some kind of special case or mod or lanyard or whatever? See a deer and have to drop the phone quick?

I don't normally eat while hunting. When I drink, the hydro flask is so slowly and meticulously taken out, unscrewed ever so carefully to avoid the screech, drink while holding in both hands, and ever so carefully shut again to minimize sound, that there is very little risk there. rangefinder is on a retracting lanyard, calls are on lanyards, I have dropped gloves (missed my pocket a time or two). Phone I have dropped twice last year, no times this year. But when my hands get cold, I lose some dexterity in my fingers. By nature of what I do, and my temperment, I plan for how something can fail, and how to overcome/prevent it.

In this case, it is not a matter of if I will drop the phone but when :p Not that I am clumsy.

I like to check weather, wind, work email, and such while in a tree, so I pull it out several times a hunt. Smartwatch helps some.

Ultimately I will keep it in my pocket and just try to be super cautious, or rig some kind of pocket on the storage strap if I can't find a better way.

I haven't dropped my phone but i did drop a beef stick and watched a squirrel nibble on it! I did just order a phone case with a removable wrist strap for this exact reason, of course that might be an issue dangling around too

I've always worried about dropping my phone. Have looked at the phone lasso a couple of times for that reason. My thought was get a second case (I just use inexpensive silicone cases) and attach it to that so could use it when needed and not have it in the way the rest of the time. When using, just connect it to a retractable badge reel.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008LQ1ERI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_BX9fCb87M5TTT

With all that stated...I'm just careful, and have not taken it to this level yet.

This reminds me of the handwarmer muff out that has a clear plastic window so you can play on your phone without taking it or your hands out of the thing. I'm not gonna lie. It has me wondering what the point of working one's butt off to be in nature, only to accessorize enough so that you can stare at your phone the whole time...

Having said that - lots of the waterproof shockproof cases have a place to attach a lanyard.

I like that phone lasso skell :) that with a cheapo case I swap out when I got out, should work!

I never pull my phone out when it is dark, and I usually only pull it out when email from work comes in or I wanted to check weather/wind forecast. I won't lie though, I have gone to a site called www.saddlehunter.com a time or two while in a tree :p or the dnr site, or cabelas....

I made little camo triangular cloth basket/net that attaches to the biner on my tether, and each side of my bridge. I placed list on each side, so that I can comfortably insert my hands (under my bridge). I keep my phone and some other stuff in there. The beauty of it is that the phone cannot be seen from the ground while using it. And if I drop it, it only falls 3 inches. It does not interfere with bridge movement, should I need to pivot for a shot.
I tried the muff with the viewing window. Don't bother! I fogged up so fast, it wasn't worth it.

I made little camo triangular cloth basket/net that attaches to the biner on my tether, and each side of my bridge. I placed list on each side, so that I can comfortably insert my hands (under my bridge). I keep my phone and some other stuff in there. The beauty of it is that the phone cannot be seen from the ground while using it. And if I drop it, it only falls 3 inches. It does not interfere with bridge movement, should I need to pivot for a shot.
I tried the muff with the viewing window. Don't bother! I fogged up so fast, it wasn't worth it.
Can you post a pic of that?

I use my phone to stay in contact with my son and/or Dad when I am hunting with them. I make my son text me when he gets to his tree and then again when he gets set up and vice versa on the way down. That way I am not sitting there wondering if he had a stick kick out or some other accident on the way up.

The only time I have dropped my phone was a couple of years ago after shooting a nice 8 pt from a tree stand that was 30' high. I texted my dad after the shot and then sat down to calm down and stop shaking. When I sat down I laid my phone on my lap. When my legs finally quit shaking (and forgetting about my phone) I stood up. I felt my phone slip off my lap and watched it fall 30' and land screen down in small bed of leaves in between several large rocks. The spot it landed wasn't much bigger then the phone itself but, the phone was unhurt. I guess the luck that let me shoot a nice buck that morning continued through my phone drop.

I use a lanyard I bought on Amazon that attaches to the back of my phone. I mostly use it whenever I go fishing so I don't have a repeat of the accident from a few years back when my phone slipped into the river. LOL

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

X2 that thing should have a warning on the box saying it fogs, makes a ton of noise when the plastic window crinkles, and that the window loses heat like crazy.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

X3...junk, used it twice and threw it in the closet. Probably should've went right in the trash!

I'm sure you fellas could pick up some case with a wrist strap, I'm sure you could get it in a bedazzled pattern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back