• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pimp or replace the jet sled?

iamcorey

Looking for suggestions for all the deer draggers out there. I don't have the option to pack em out.

Currently have a jet sled, but after a .75 mile drag through mixed terrain, I'm questioning my tool choice for the task. I was hauling 180lbs. The watery parts it shined, but not so much on the dirty/muddy parts. I've has a cheap 2 wheel cart before, and I didn't much like it.

Just ordered a Hawk Crawler using Amazon Prime to try out. I'll return if its junk.

What are some suggestions to either pimp my sled or replacement product?

I love my crawler but I will be making a crawler/vet sled soon myself because the watery spots I hunt are the only spots that the crawler doesn't shine. You wont be disappointed if the water isn't bad

Looking for suggestions for all the deer draggers out there. I don't have the option to pack em out.

Currently have a jet sled, but after a .75 mile drag through mixed terrain, I'm questioning my tool choice for the task. I was hauling 180lbs. The watery parts it shined, but not so much on the dirty/muddy parts. I've has a cheap 2 wheel cart before, and I didn't much like it.

Just ordered a Hawk Crawler using Amazon Prime to try out. I'll return if its junk.

What are some suggestions to either pimp my sled or replacement product?

I run a kids plastic sled which I have modified with a rope "harness" to lash the deer in easily. The Jet sled works, but it is too short for big deer (or almost any deer). The one I use is longer than a jet sled. Keeping the legs folded in and out of the way is a big help so they don't get hung up on everything along the way. It is still a lot of work to drag them out, but where I tend to hunt a wheeled cart wouldn't work well - too wet and crappy

Yeah that kinda sucks.
Be nice to stay in the water or stay out! Lol. Not sure they make a one size fits all in the deer dragging realm.
Would it help to wax the bottom of the sled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an XL jet sled that I use. It is by far the best option I have found for getting the whole deer out. Nothing is easy about dragging a large deer out of the woods, but the jet sled makes it easier than anything else IMHO. I hunt solo 100% of the time and my jet sled was a big improvement in my process. I have used it to get out around 30 deer since 2015.

I've dragged 2 out this year with the saddle flipped around backwards, linesman belt between linesman loops and shortened as much as I could, the tether girth hitched around the neck of the deer and clipped into the linesman belt. It's a hell of a workout but not too bad if you take your time. The low center of gravity with the saddle around your hips keeps the weight on your legs.
I'd imagine the jet sled hooked up this way might work good unless that's how they're already designed.

Not sure they make a one size fits all in the deer dragging realm.

Starting to realize this. Saw a video where a guy added an axle and two wheels to his sled. Looked easy, but waterproofing after the mod will take further research.

I've dragged 2 out this year with the saddle flipped around backwards, linesman belt between linesman loops and shortened as much as I could, the tether girth hitched around the neck of the deer and clipped into the linesman belt. It's a hell of a workout but not too bad if you take your time. The low center of gravity with the saddle around your hips keeps the weight on your legs.
I'd imagine the jet sled hooked up this way might work good unless that's how they're already designed.
how far was your drag?

Never used my sled for deer but hauled the crap out of beaver and coon with it over rough ground. Eventually wore a hole in the back corner of it and had to put a patch on it. I keep thinking there's gotta be a way to rig wheels on it that are easily removable

I wonder if the stuff they put on boat trailer bunks to make them slick would work on the bottom of these sleds?

I have an XL jet sled that I use. It is by far the best option I have found for getting the whole deer out. Nothing is easy about dragging a large deer out of the woods, but the jet sled makes it easier than anything else IMHO. I hunt solo 100% of the time and my jet sled was a big improvement in my process. I have used it to get out around 30 deer since 2015.
Have you done any modifications to your jet sled? I have one I use for trapping and it holds up well. I also use it to load and unload the deer into my pickup when I'm alone. I was thinking about beefing up the rope connection points with some fender washers to prevent stressing that area out and the rope pulling through eventually but don't know if its worth it.

Have you done any modifications to your jet sled? I have one I use for trapping and it holds up well. I also use it to load and unload the deer into my pickup when I'm alone. I was thinking about beefing up the rope connection points with some fender washers to prevent stressing that area out and the rope pulling through eventually but don't know if its worth it.
I haven't done much. I think the only thing I did was add some rubber tubing on the rope to make it easier on the hands.

I will say that I'm on my second sled. I had a smaller sled the first go around and at some of the parks I hunt in there are gravel trails and a couple spots I may have to go across a paved road so I did eventually burn a hole in the bottom of one. It could be repaired but I wanted to start using the larger one anyway. The larger one works much better on bigger deer :). I saved the first sled because I bought a chest harness I was going to test out on it. I was just thinking about using it for some workouts more than dragging a deer.

A few pics from this year
7526a1cabda3c1c9201ad90be81390da.jpg

eda8c66737f750c3edc5b273e46e3052.jpg

070e6542a4e199b783774111e1f77631.jpg

e97099e69d1be19f7f28d4301fc1ceb0.jpg

how far was your drag?
One was 1/2 mi. and the other was closer to 3/4 mi. pretty flat terrain though. One had a decent hill but then there was downhill to follow. I was just suggesting if you hooked up the jet sled with the saddle that way it might work better.

Back