• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform/Climbing Stick Idea

BigBrando247

This probably has been been done but I wonder if someone has made a platform base that can be attached/detached from a climbing stick. Maybe a removable pin or bolt that slides through stick(beast stick comes to mind)to lock base in place or a bracket attached to stick that the base could be slid into like some stands nowadays. 1 less post to carry/cam over. Just seems like if the stick’s already locked down on tree like a WE step/perch combo...just a thought.

It’s been done.
It adds difficulty getting on top of it from straight below. Minor problem no big deal.
If it slides in and out it has the potential to be noisy as you move around on it.
If not easily removable it adds length and bulk to what’s already the bulkiest part of your system.
It forces you to have your platform in line with your climbing sticks.
It prevents you from having your platform in one spot and using the top of your climbing stick to move around the tree.
It still requires another rope or strap to stabilize the top.

All of that to save the weight or cost of one or two standoffs. Isn’t a good trade off imo. There is the mini platform being made for the top of climbing sticks but it’s more of a large step than a platform.

@EricS , would you happen to remember some of the key words that may have been used in the titles on these previous ideas. I'm interested in tinkering with a few things and would like to know some of the things which have been tried.

@BigBrando247 , what all have you tried or looked at so far?

@ anyone else - chime with wherever help you can or add some links please.

I was looking into using a full length LW removing the top step and pushing the stand off bracket down. That would allow space at the top of the stick for a post to be dropped into it with a platform attached. I ended coming to the same conclusions as @EricS. As it stands the only difference would be my 2 standoffs. You still need to cam it or similar otherwise you are applying pressure quite far above whatever method you use to put the stick on the tree.

I would be interested to see what people come up with, just not yet convinced it's for me.

Best of luck though.

Back