• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform packing options

Diesel40

Looking for preferred methods of carrying platform without a backpack. I have not tried it yet. I am trying to lighten my load, especially early season. I currently only have a predator platform, but I am considering a solo scout. I have typically utilized a backpack to carry my predator in, but would like to be able to eliminate the backpack when I don't need to carry extra clothes. Has anyone found a preferred method to carry one on there saddle. I have not tried it yet, but feel it might be to big to be hanging off the saddle. Maybe this options will not work, I feel like it would pull my saddle off while walking any distance. This is one reason that I am looking at the solo scout, smaller and lighter. Thanks

Put a rifle sling on it and call it a day. Or just carry it in your hand and use it to push away brushes as you walk in. how are you getting up the tree? If you are using sticks maybe just straps them together and sling it. I would try nite-ize the predator to the back of your molle first to see if it really bother you that much.

Also consider a small pack with molle? The Eberlestock Dagger is popular or even a Camelback with molle is very minimal.

I have a small pack with molle, but trying to avoid a pack when i don't need to haul clothes. I have considered slinging it with a strap or gun sling. It less than a pack, but still kind of like a pack. I may go this route. I don't like to carry any more than my bow/gun on the way in if I don't have to. For climbing methods on private land I have preset stick ladders. I am in the process of experimenting with 2TC for an alternative. In the instance that I do go with sticks because 2TC doesn't workout for me, I will be strapping them on my small pack with molle and my platform. Thanks for the suggestions.

I have walked in with my Predator hanging off the back of my saddle. Didn't like it bumping my tush all the way in to the tree. It's in my pack now.

In your hand or lashed to a back pack. Any other way is cumbersome, uncomfortable, and a potential noise maker.
I carry a light backpack all the time anyway so it's illogical to not use it to carry my platform. Bow goes in the left hand and right hand is open to use binos.

This pack is bargain of the year at $33.
I have a very similar pack already and this is how I always carry it in. I agree with everything you pointed out. That is why I am asking if anyone has come up with a way to carry it when not needing a backpack for anything other than carrying the platform. Seeing if anyone has come up with an alternative while keeping the hands free to use the bow and binos. Thanks.

I don't have the system put together yet but I'm looking at using a molle vest to carry everything, including attaching the saddle.
I've got my pouches on my sides. Plan to strap my platform or sticks to my back. The vest has a sleeve in the back that I plan to slip a pad into that will cushion the platform from being directly on my back, when I take the vest off in the tree I can use it for a knee cushion. Plan to use G hooks to attach the saddle to the vest to keep the saddle from slipping down while walking and still be able to un hook it when you need to.

How is this pack as far as noise?
It's a heavy stiff cordura type material so it's not going to be quiet like brushed fleece, but carrying or opening/closing the pack doesn't make any more noise than anything else.
Tons of strorage. I can't believe they can sell these for under $35.

Back