• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform Question

Alud555

I'm new to saddle hunting and don't have the cash to buy a proper platform. I've read about people making one from an old steel tree stand seat and I think I'm going to go in that direction. I also keep reading about this OCB strap. That should work for the platform right? My thought is that seems much quieter and gets as tight as a ratchet.

Last edited:
All you need is somewhere to put your feet. A limb or 2 in the right place, a 2x4 in a crotch (ouch, you know what I mean), whatever you can get .

I'm new to saddle hunting and don't have the cash to buy a proper platform. I've read about people making one from an old steel tree stand seat and I think I'm going to go in that direction. I also keep reading about this OCB strap. That should work for the platform right? My thought is that seems much quieter and gets as tight as a ratchet.
Depends on the stand seat and how it was constructed. What are you planning on using? Got a pic?

Depends on the stand seat and how it was constructed. What are you planning on using? Got a pic?
I more meant for the weight and use of the strap. My stand/seat has a bracket that will take the hook on the strap. I can get a picture, just not right now.

I made a platform from a cheap Walmart hang on stand, it’s heavy and loud but rock solid once you get it on the tree. Here is a video of it.

When they come back in stock online, (likely end of July) buy a single Primal V Step and cut yourself a plywood platform. Specs and measurements are in those threads. It is the best cheap platform option, in my opinion. I made several for presets for my wife...

When they come back in stock online, (likely end of July) buy a single Primal V Step and cut yourself a plywood platform. Specs and measurements are in those threads. It is the best cheap platform option, in my opinion. I made several for presets for my wife...
That looks amazing. Freaks me out a little to trust that small piece of plywood though. I'll give it some thought. Thanks for sharing that!

That looks amazing. Freaks me out a little to trust that small piece of plywood though. I'll give it some thought. Thanks for sharing that!

Follow the specs laid out in those threads and it is solid...unless you are 300+ lbs maybe. Just make sure you are connected via your tether before you step onto it. The worst that can happen is the wood breaks and you still have the V step to stand on. You will not fall if you are connected via your tether.

Follow the specs laid out in those threads and it is solid...unless you are 300+ lbs maybe. Just make sure you are connected via your tether before you step onto it. The worst that can happen is the wood breaks and you still have the V step to stand on. You will not fall if you are connected via your tether.
That's a good point. Nope 175 over here so I should be fine

Back