• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Please close

Whiteoaks

SH Member
Sep 23, 2022
Thanks
Watched all of staggs in the wild and am familiar with EWO. Do the one sticking specific sticks make one sticking easier than with a simple muddy pro stick?

Last edited:

Exhumis

SH Member
Mar 12, 2019
Northern Virginia
Here’s a few links to aider posts:

To help combat toe pinch run the rungs of your aider through something stiff like irrigation tubing, thick walled hose, etc. Backwoods mobile makes a great one stick aider that stays open (I’m around 250lbs loaded and have no difficulties). That will also help you toe off away from the tree.
The overall length of your aider and the distance between steps will effect how effective you are at climbing. If you have a really long aider or lot
The muddy isn’t a bad stick but you may find it more beneficial to use a stick designed for one sticking, those type of sticks generally have longer stand offs that push the stick further away from the tree. If your muddy pro is 1” tube stock which IIRC it is you may be able to upgrade the stand offs. Look at the saddlehunter map and see if you can find some folks close to you.
DIY sportsman has an excellent video on YouTube showing one sticking and rappelling. You didn’t state how you intend to descend but I’d urge using caution if you’re going to one stick down.

Whiteoaks

SH Member
Sep 23, 2022
Thanks
I have the rappelling down Pat.
Just trying to figure out the best climbing method. I can SRT pretty well but I think the one sticking would be a good option in case SRT is not an option.

Tim0712

SH Member
Jan 18, 2021
I am not going to tell you “do this” “do that” or what to buy or use. My strongest suggestion to you is watch litterally every single YouTube you can. Maybe try to find someone local that one sticks to show you their method in person. That’s what I did and the visual helped greatly. Take a little from every thing or follow one method. Make your own method out of everything you’ve learned.

Reactions: Whiteoaks

2Sloe

SH Member
Feb 2, 2021
Virginia Beach VA
AOL
s3gator@aol.com
First year trying a saddle and want to learn to 1 stick. I’ve been using a muddy pro and a mini with aiders. One step is fine after that it gets dicey. They pinch my feet and cram my toes into the tree. I dont feel like aider steps are far enough away from the tree. Wondering if a specific stick designed for one sticking is any better and will solve my struggle.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
IMO a big advantage of a three step aider is that on successive moves that third step will be right by your foot so you can just turn the aider sideways, slip your foot into it, then turn your foot an plant your toe into the tree. This gets the aider off the tree and makes it easy to get you foot into the other two steps. 15” spacing is optimal for most people. Good luck!