• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Po Mans 3D Target

ricky racer

This is nothing earth shattering but thought I'd post it nonetheless. Having shot everything from excelsior bales to 3D my favorite target for home is my burlap bag target. Not only will it stop any arrow thrown at it, the burlap bag will easily last a year even left out in the elements as mine is. Two finger arrow removal is my favorite advantage of the burlap bag target.

I stuff it with scrap vinyl coated fiberglass window screen material. This material can be gathered for free or little cost from any place that repairs window screens. I got mine from a local RV manufacturer by knowing someone who worked there.

I purchase my bags from the local farm store. This last bag came from Rural King and cost me a whopping $1.99! The target consists of the bag, window screen material and a wooden stick of some sort. I've used broomsticks or wooden dowel rods.

You just simply stuff the bag with the window screen material and insert the stick (cut to the proper lenght) on one side of the bag. The stick allows the bag to be held in position without sagging. Once the bag is stuffed I use zip ties to close off the open end of the bag. I cut down a couple of coat hangers and poke them through the bag just under the stick and hang it from a frame I fashioned from old fence posts.

The great thing about the window screen material is it doesn't hold water so rain runs right through it. Some use plastic bags but having tried it before I've found that there is always water trapped in those bags and it just makes a mess. How long will the screen material last? I don't really know. I've been using the same material for probably 20 years and it still works as good as day one.

The shape of the bag mimics the shape of a deer as well and most bags have printing on them. This one just happens to have a print about the same size as a deers vitals.

So for about $2 and about 10 minutes time, I've got a new target that will last me for another year. The bag will last a full year until the sun and weather breakdown the burlap. Have fun and shoot straight!!

20180812_160945.jpg

20180812_161907.jpg
0_20180812_181837.jpg

Last edited:
I agree 100%, I’ve used this type bag for many years. It stops arrows well and easy arrow removal, and it’s cheap.

How does this work with broad heads?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not really too good on broadheads. Cotton is a wonderful filler for broadhead targets. Years back when cotton mattresses were common, we would load em up when they were put on the curb. Also our local cotton gin used to let us collect spilled cotton for our bags. Since switching to mechanicals I haven’t needed a broadhead target.

You can also stuff them with old clothes. I made several last time my wife and daughter cleaned out their closets. The only problem with clothes is they can't get wet or they will get moldy and never dry out.

You can also stuff them with old clothes. I made several last time my wife and daughter cleaned out their closets. The only problem with clothes is they can't get wet or they will get moldy and never dry out.

That's why the screen material works so well. Water passes right through it. Mice don't seem interested in it either. I've never had a mouse nest in one.

Agreed I made one that way. Also wouldn't hurt to remove the zippers and metal buttons.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Great idea with the screen! Before I got the 3d target I would use empty 50# poly grain bags(seems to hold up better than burlap) to hold plastic grocery sacks or pallet wrap. when I shoot through the outer bag I just get another grain bag out of the barn. I built a target house to keep the rain off the targets as well. so I'm not as worried about the water!

Great idea with the screen! Before I got the 3d target I would use empty 50# poly grain bags(seems to hold up better than burlap) to hold plastic grocery sacks or pallet wrap. when I shoot through the outer bag I just get another grain bag out of the barn. I built a target house to keep the rain off the targets as well. so I'm not as worried about the water!
Thanks for the info. I have rolls of the pallet wrap sitting around and access to so many polyfeed bags. We only feed about 40 horses a day

Back