• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Poisonous vines on your ropes.

MattMan81

SH Member
Do you find if you get your gear into the nasty stuff that it will get on you later? If you have what do you do to try and get it off? Mixed reviews about washing your ropes since water logging them they say can cause pre mature failure. With that said I didn't climb the tree loaded. But it was a multi trunk tree I set my ladder stand in, and I was using my equipment and did pick some up on my arm. Mostly bad where i didn't rinse it off well. The spots on my arm I rinsed off have a little irritation. But I missed the upper back part and know I swiped it on some of the vines on that other trunk. Not sure how much of it I got into my gear.
Experience and solutions to wipe down gear? And other than calamine lotion what else do you guys put on to help clear it up?

No one will like this answer but rubbing alcohol drys it out pretty quick. Also there's a bar laundry soap called Fels-Naptha that some say helps for the initial wash off, I've had good luck with it. I use it in the shower when i come in but it's definitely not recommended for shower use.

Not sure about ropes or other gear

Dawn soap and very hot water and scrubbing will remove urishiol.

But, you’re just asking for chronic problems. The answer is don’t put the rope in trees with poison. If it can’t be avoided, change your frame of mind. You will get the oil on you. Often. Scrubbing ropes will change nothing in that regard.

No one will like this answer but rubbing alcohol drys it out pretty quick. Also there's a bar laundry soap called Fels-Naptha that some say helps for the initial wash off, I've had good luck with it. I use it in the shower when i come in but it's definitely not recommended for shower use.

Not sure about ropes or other gear
Thanks @Horn looks like cheap insurance should I find my self exposed. Stuff is pretty cheap. I realized once I was down their I forgot my dawn soap to wash my arms down after wards.

I pick trees to preset and have had pretty good luck wearing tyvek suit and dish washing gloves to remove the vines from the trees I select. I will do several trees and carefully remove the coveralls and gloves, put them in a trash bag and pitch them in the garbage when I get home. I have quite a few trees cleared now and not expecting to have to do any this year.

Dawn soap and very hot water and scrubbing will remove urishiol.

But, you’re just asking for chronic problems. The answer is don’t put the rope in trees with poison. If it can’t be avoided, change your frame of mind. You will get the oil on you. Often. Scrubbing ropes will change nothing in that regard.

dawn dish soap (i like blue) works about as well as that expensive poison ivy soap

if i shower (scrubbing well with a cloth) twice with dawn, then i don't get poison

i also use dawn to clean my ropes and other gear, so i would use dawn to get rid of the oils

i probably wouldn't use very hot water on my ropes and saddle though, just warm and then make up for that with more agitation/time/two washes

when i scout in the spring, i hack poison ivy vines off any tree i might want to climb...i don't pull them off then but just kill them down low early in the year

I don't have any advice on what to do about your ropes, but I've found this video to be extremely helpful regarding what to do if you touch poison ivy. I follow this routine whenever I think I might have gotten it on me or my gear, and I almost never get a trash anymore and when I do it's minor.

I don't have any advice on what to do about your ropes, but I've found this video to be extremely helpful regarding what to do if you touch poison ivy. I follow this routine whenever I think I might have gotten it on me or my gear, and I almost never get a trash anymore and when I do it's minor.
Thanks for that. I watched that a while ago and forgot about all the scrubbing. Should have done that when I got home. Hopefully I'll remember when I get into next time.

Wash your ropes. PMI makes a very good rope soap and it’s not that expensive. Use a bucket and fill it with cool or like warm water. Let the rope soak for a little while, rinse the bucket, wash it out with dawn dishsoap, refill it with clean water and use the PMI soap a second time. It may even take a couple of washes to get all the urishiol off the ropes depending on the material of your rope.. (nylon or technora ropes absorb so they will be harder than a polyester rope to get all the oil off of them). Once you have washed it, loosely coil it in long coils and hang it in the shed or garage in front of a box fan, out of the sun light. It’ll take 18 to 24 hours to completely dry out with a good fan. It could take twice that long with a small crappy one. As long as the rope completely dries out you aren’t prematurely wearing it out any more than rain or dew in the morning. It’s when ropes are left in the sun light or put away damp, that can weaken or rot them

Not to derail the thread but how do you guys store your ropes and saddles and other nylon/cordura/ UV sensitive gear?? I keep my ropes and saddles loosely folded or coiled in non translucent bins in my hunting shed. It can get hot in there in the summer but no sunlight.

I pick trees to preset and have had pretty good luck wearing tyvek suit and dish washing gloves to remove the vines from the trees I select. I will do several trees and carefully remove the coveralls and gloves, put them in a trash bag and pitch them in the garbage when I get home. I have quite a few trees cleared now and not expecting to have to do any this year.

How much would you charge for this service in south Louisiana?

This stuff is amazing. It was designed for Nuclear and Chemical warfare decontamination. It breaks the protein bond the Chemical makes with the protein in your skin. You can shower with it for a pre contact preventative, or after exposure. It helps to minimize the dermatitis after symptoms are showing as well. Any drug store carries it. Its expensive but does work, and this bottle I have had since 2008, so it goes a long way.

https://teclabsinc.com/about/

Attachments

• 1BC058A2-8298-4D86-A271-8C0A339E5EEF.jpeg
    1BC058A2-8298-4D86-A271-8C0A339E5EEF.jpeg
    283.1 KB · Views: 22
This stuff is amazing. It was designed for Nuclear and Chemical warfare decontamination. It breaks the protein bond the Chemical makes with the protein in your skin. You can shower with it for a pre contact preventative, or after exposure. It helps to minimize the dermatitis after symptoms are showing as well. Any drug store carries it. Its expensive but does work, and this bottle I have had since 2008, so it goes a long way.

https://teclabsinc.com/about/
And it doubles in a nuclear fall out. Seems like something good to have on hand.

I’ve been blessed. I’ve never had it and I spent and continue to spend a lot of time in the woods all throughout the year.
You are likely not allergic or are not very susceptible to it. Don't test out that theory, though. If you are in the woods a lot, you have most likely come into contact with it at some point. It has several variations. There is poison oak, poison ivy and poison sumac.

I’d say learn if you’re actually allergic or not. That way you know to either stay off those trees or don’t give it a second thought. I can be in poison ivy all day and never get an itch so I just climb whatever tree I want. If my wife is hunting with me I have to stay 59 yards minimum away from any trees with ivy.

Back