• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Poll: What percentage of the time do you hunt predetermined trees?

What percentage of the time do you hunt predetermined trees?

• Total voters

skyjacker

SH Member
Predetermined trees are trees that you have visibly seen and preset/marked as going to being hunted before or during the season. If you can come up with a rough percentage post it in a comment please. About 90% of the time I'm hunting predetermined trees.

I'm going with about 50% on the dot.

Morning sits, usually. If not, I have a GPS mark, I just need to find a tree as close as possible to that. Around these parts, that's usually doable. Some areas you just have to pick a tree in advance. The area determines that, not me.

Evening sits, much more rarely. Usually some degree of scouting into an area.

I'm a big proponent of stage hunting if I have a buck checkmated. Start on the edges, work my way in for the kill. That strategy doesn't allow for a ton of advance planning.

Predetermined trees are trees that you have visibly seen and preset/marked as going to being hunted before or during the season. If you can come up with a rough percentage post it in a comment please. About 90% of the time I'm hunting predetermined trees.

Similar poll for your consumption!

For me, on my own land, it’s predetermined trees, depending on wind and weather. My property is not big so I’m very careful as to how much and when I hunt it.
Public land, it’s new tree every hunt

It's a good question. 95% of the time i am climbing a tree with a paracord preset, some of which are a dozen years old. Maybe one in 20 sits are random trees i had never climbed before. This would happen if found myself in another part of the state or a new property in the middle of hunting season. Or maybe just because i noticed deer on a different travel route.

JrbTreeClimbing.com, affiliated with RockNArbor.com

Back