• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Post your yard/practice archery range

Jmiller

I'm wanting to get some additional ideas for targets/shooting in the back yard, so I was hoping others might post their backyard setups.

Below is a photo of mine. I live on a small river here in Mid TN, so my back deck is elevated about 15 feet. This provides pretty good practice for what it's like shoot from a stand or saddle. I tend to hang about this high when hunting.

I do occasionally set up and shoot from the trees. Do you all find 3D targets are worth the expense? I kind of hesitate to put a bunch of redneck looking fake deer in the yard. You can see my Yellowjacket target in the background. It has held up well. Can be a pain to pull out field points at times.

3sAGzx7l.jpg

I'm in a neighborhood in the suburbs of Nashville, and I often shoot from the edge of our neighborhood green space toward my target/backstop beside my house. I'll share a pic after a I go outside and snap one later. Because I don't want to scare or create problems with my non-hunting neighbors, I only shoot block targets and never wear camo when shooting. But, if I didn't have those societal/practical constraints, I would definitely shoot 3D targets in my hunting gear for practice (not all the time, but a good bit). The beauty of your backyard setup is that you can move a 3D target all around and practice different distances, angles, etc. Shooting blocks on flat ground is great for honing/improving your form, but there's no practice like shooting 3D targets from an elevated position (except maybe shooting squirrels on slow days in the early season!).

I definitely like shooting at a 3D deer target. Don’t know if it actually makes me more effective shooting live deer vs a block or bag but in my mind it adds confidence. Shooting from a tree I also like to just toss some of those little plastic wiffle golf balls all over in random spots and try to hit them.

I'm wanting to get some additional ideas for targets/shooting in the back yard, so I was hoping others might post their backyard setups.

Below is a photo of mine. I live on a small river here in Mid TN, so my back deck is elevated about 15 feet. This provides pretty good practice for what it's like shoot from a stand or saddle. I tend to hang about this high when hunting.

I do occasionally set up and shoot from the trees. Do you all find 3D targets are worth the expense? I kind of hesitate to put a bunch of redneck looking fake deer in the yard. You can see my Yellowjacket target in the background. It has held up well. Can be a pain to pull out field points at times.

3sAGzx7l.jpg
Are you shooting micro diameter arrows? They dont pull out nice at all. Someone recommended epoxy rubbed over the outsert edge. I never tried it,i went back to regular diameter arrows.

Thanks for all the posts so far. I like the idea of shooting the little whiffle golf balls.
Im practicing with just the Walmart Allen Krytpos arrows. They shoot straight, cost about $3.50 a pop and last ok. They're a reasonable facsimile of my hunting arrows. GT hunter XTs.

I have a mixed bag of field points (all 100 grain) that I shoot. Some sharper, some blunt. It's not a major issue getting them out of that target, but Ive had to unscrew one or two and leave in there as it's full of some kind of fabric that will bind up on/around the points.

I've had issues with field points in a bag target if the tip is a little bigger in diameter. The best ones that i've found are made by Trophy Taker. They have a rubber o ring on them so they don't loosen up after a while. But the last set I bought from them were different and bulbous like. They did not work well with a bag at all. I just have a Black Hole target ATM. My Thirdhand bag got pretty shot up and was dry rotted from sitting out. Think i'm going to pick up a Morrell Supreme 3 back to hang. I saw them at Rural King for $39. I know you can buy the replacement covers for them once they wear out. I'm also looking at a 3D deer target to use with my EZ V sight. There are blemished ones on eBay if you want to save some money.

I think the important thing with field tips is to get a smaller diameter tip than your arrow shaft. I'm not sure what mine are but they are bullet shape tipped and slightly smaller than my arrow and it never gets stuck in the bag. My old ones were fat and a pain to remove

careful putting up a 3d buck during the rut. mine ended up scattered all over the yard even if you think theyre not coming through. would of been cool to watch. but that wasnt the case. just a big mess

I am here in Middle TN as well. What river you got flowing down there?

I shoot in my backyard on a limited basis and have a 3D target I use as well. I really like the confidence it gives me but I usually shoot a block. I like a little drop of arrow fletch glue on my field point threads to keep them from unscrewing in the target

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on the Barren Fork, McMinnville.

What I might do is catch 2-3 more blocks on sale and station them around the yard to shoot multiple distances, directions. I could do this for the cost of one 3D target. If I catch that giant Sasquatch 3D target on closeout, all bets are off though.

i can just picture me trying to explain whhy i need a giant sasquatch target to my wife
It's patriotic and in the interest of self-defense. Here's why: You need to be ready to hold the line with your archery equipment in case the Chinese (or Russians, or North Koreans, or whoever) invades the country while you're out bow hunting, but you don't want to alarm the neighbors by shooting at a human target. BOOM--now you can own a Giant Sasquatch target.

I'm fortunate that in addition to having a nice yard where I can back up to ~120 yds (for funsies) shooting my block and I have a 3D range with within a 30 minute drive on a WMA.

Are you shooting micro diameter arrows? They dont pull out nice at all. Someone recommended epoxy rubbed over the outsert edge. I never tried it,i went back to regular diameter arrows.

There’s arrow lube for just this sort of thing. Mines called scorpion venom.

There’s arrow lube for just this sort of thing. Mines called scorpion venom.

I think Its not the arrow sticking as much as the field tip getting material in between it and the insert. Then it wont pull out. Typical problem with bag targets.

Back