• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Predator platform 1 and 2

Drslyr

So ive been 2 seasons in a saddle. I have a gen 1 and 2 predator platforms. I set my platforms as tight as i can make them, have even tried to toe hook method. So after a bit of leaning sitting even standing i look down and the top of the tree bracket has pulled off the tree about an inch away. Ibe put some pretty good side pressure against the platform without incident but its sure givin me the willeys. Im not afraid of falling just the platform kicking out at the exact wrong time. Do any of you guys experience this and any ideas how to stop it from happening. Im a big boy but not crazy. 6ft 200

That's interesting. I am 6'1" and 240 and have never had the top pull away. I don't know exactly what you're doing, but I will tell you what I do.

1) hold the platform level and cinch the strap down tight (with platform flipped up).
2) with platform flipped up, slide the platform down the tree until it stops and then cam over.
**this is where most of them break if you put too much pressure. I have never had to toe cam or put excessive force to get mine rock solid**

I am assuming you're not sliding it down the tree with the platform flipped up before you cam it over. If you are doing that, Idk what could be wrong. I feel the predator is more user friendly than the ambush.

No I haven't had that problem and I have use both of them but I only have the gen 2 now. What I would do is when you see that happen reset the platform. I do weigh more than you and like I said it never happened to me.

I had the same issue on different trees. Here is how I fixed the problem on my gen 1 platform.
replace the bracket on the platform. The original bracket does not like pine trees very well. I put an xop bracket 6 pt on mine. Now it grips and does not move. Also once you have the strap around the tree tight, step on the top bracket and push the platform down, then cam lock the platform. it

I have it happen. I think, that a lot of times, it depends on the bark. Soft, thick bark tends to get eroded out from the bottom stand-off which, kinda messes up the cinch of the strap and top stand-off.

I can't prove this, but sometimes I think it may be a good thing if the top pulls out a little because it allows the flex of the entire stand to be distributed throughout the entire stand. If the post is locked solid against the tree at the top stand-off, then all the stresses during flex have to be absorbed by the platform.

This happens to me on pine trees with a Predator Gen 2. I've had to try and reset it several times to finally just hunt with a gap between the top post and the tree. It definitely makes me uncomfortable. I might just add a ratchet strap to the top of the platform to keep it flush.

I have it happen. I think, that a lot of times, it depends on the bark. Soft, thick bark tends to get eroded out from the bottom stand-off which, kinda messes up the cinch of the strap and top stand-off.
THis is what I have noticed as well. Doesn't seem to be an issue though. Probably because the bottom is embedded well into the tree.

Back