• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Predator platform review

Docwaters

Like everyone, it seemed, I was juiced to receive the new platform. Having to wait an extended time only heightened my desire to have it. I had received my Kestrel and was waiting to be able to use this "game changing" piece of my new saddle hunting obsession for this season.

I felt the price was maybe a bit high but this was made for and by people that are promoting this style of hunting and the wait made me confident that they would get it right.

Part of the fun of this style of hunting, run and gun, is improving on items you use. My Lone Wolf stand and sticks are all tricked out with stealth strips, paracord, molle straps, and talons. I get improving your gear. However, I could hunt quietly out of my LW stand straight out of the box.

The Predator is ridiculously squeaky. It's not close to being usable as delivered. Now I'll go through the processes outlined by others to make it usable in the woods.

I'll be honest and say I'm more than a little disappointed. One would hope that given all the delays the minimum QC would have been in place to ensure it was delivered ready to hunt. These guys know better.

Still jacked about saddle hunting, hold no ill will, and look forward to years of using the platform after I quiet it down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Got mine a while ago and did camo it. Finally got to put it on a tree and Greg wasn't lying it was work solid and worked great. I put the strap on the right side so the spring wouldn't fray the strap and that worked. Now I just have to figure out how to justify to the wife why I need a Mantis saddle. I guess a man needs at least 4 saddles.

I don't think that I am sold on the platform yet, don't get me wrong the Predator platform looks awesome and they did a great job but after playing with it in my yard I think I like Ring of steps better than the platform.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I don't think that I am sold on the platform yet, don't get me wrong the Predator platform looks awesome and they did a great job but after playing with it in my yard I think I like Ring of steps better than the platform.

It's true, some of us are just rin gnc of steps people! I've tried like 3 different platforms...

:(

I used ameristep on a ratchet strap for years and never tried a platform until now but I have to say I do like the platform. I will give it a good honest try while hunting and that's how I know if it's as good as my ameristep.

I feel like I loose the mobility of the steps, when I use the platform

I'm going to give the predator a honest try but I have a feeling that it will be for sale

You're not alone. The only one who loves steps as much as me is probably John Eberhart lol.
I'm with all of you...and with a decent pair of stiff soled hiking boots even a leaner can love them!

You're not alone. The only one who loves steps as much as me is probably John Eberhart lol.
When I first heard of saddle hunting, Ameristeps we're the only platform example I saw. They look like they'd be pretty cool, but I don't want to use a ratchet straps because of noise and I can imagine getting a boat buckle tight enough.

When I first heard of saddle hunting, Ameristeps we're the only platform example I saw. They look like they'd be pretty cool, but I don't want to use a ratchet straps because of noise and I can imagine getting a boat buckle tight enough.
You can get a boat buckle plenty tight. Takes a little tooth-gritting and vein-popping sometimes, but it will happen. Really, I don't think it's any harder to set a ring of steps tight than it is to cam over the predator.

You can get a boat buckle plenty tight. Takes a little tooth-gritting and vein-popping sometimes, but it will happen. Really, I don't think it's any harder to set a ring of steps tight than it is to cam over the predator.
It's very tempting. Maybe I'll give the Predator a season and try Ameristeps next season to compare.

A tad off topic, has anybody taken apart their predator yet? Want to make sure I can do it safely before wrecking something
It would be extremely impressive if you wrecked it. It's held together with 2 bolts and locking nuts. ;)

I dissassembled mine to paint it. Went back together eaay-peasy.

7521492892edfe6c6bffc565014100e2.jpg

8741bb823ca3a81838a7e66fd9279455.jpg

cd2adee67866e184ee7009ebc5e5fa8f.jpg

Stealth strips, camo spray paint and a sharpie. Short and sweet. I will say this thing is freaking awesome to hang on crooked trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7521492892edfe6c6bffc565014100e2.jpg

8741bb823ca3a81838a7e66fd9279455.jpg

cd2adee67866e184ee7009ebc5e5fa8f.jpg

Stealth strips, camo spray paint and a sharpie. Short and sweet. I will say this thing is freaking awesome to hang on crooked trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sexy!

I will say that I believe the set bolt on the bottom will tear up your stealth strips. I epoxied a piece of 1" webbing to silence that bolt. I had electrical tape wrapped around that area, but it wore through after the first hunt.

Back