• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Prepping trees

I just drill them with my ez Kut and saw any limbs I don't like or can't get around easily. I leave 3 reflective tacks in a triangle at the base, and call it quits. Don't cut shooting lanes no more. Deer never seemed to walk into them when I did anyways.

Also, down here doing too much prep will get your spot hunted for you

90% of mine gets done by June-ish ,I dont cut much of a shooting lane either, the past 2 years I've been leaving bolts in the trees that produce year after year, minus the bottom 4, that's all I'm gonna carry in a side pouch this year with my drill to re do the holes if need be, had a g2 pouch, but just ordered one that @Stump06 recommended, I'll have some cranfords in my back pack in case I have to regroup tho

Last edited:
I hang some 550 cord so I can SRT if the tree allows, not cutting lanes form me either.

Usually just drill for bolts. I have some spurs and sticks for being really mobile and pine trees. I tell ya, after using bolts last year I really like them. Ordered me an ez kut drill and I was really surprised how easy it was to drill with it.

Not much trimming for me either. One awesome thing about saddles is the ability to move around for the shot. You can really lean out to clear limbs that would block you in a stand.

I do very little trimming of limbs from the ground to my perch and then I don’t like to trim a lot where I am sitting.Feel like everything is looking at me if I am too open.Trees around my plots that get hunted more than once get 5/8 machine bolts from old retired poles at work.They will back out if you don’t leave em too terrible long.

Back