• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Preset advice for a Noob

arrowchukker

Help a Noob out.

I have property I can preset without having to carry sticks.

Grade 8, obviously. Where is a good place to source them?
Looking to do three presets in this property.

Thank you for offering advice.

eBay

I've tried the bolts before though and felt like it sucked me too close to the tree. Maybe I was doing it wrong... I much prefer finding cheap sticks and just leaving them permanently attached to the tree. If you look around, you can typically find 20' stick ladders for about $40.

I have left out cheap Muddy sticks, ladders, ameristeps, and primal steps on private. Hate the small diameter steps.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Bolts are the way to go especially for pre sets. Get out there with a cordless drill and a treehopper bit and once you get the hang of it you can set up a tree in no time. I use 10 bolts to get up the tree and 4 as a ring of steps. You can buy the grade 8 six inch bolts on ebay. Drill the first one knee high then set your elbow on that one and drill the next one at your finger tips. Nutterbuster has a good saying, "knee high and nipple wide" set them like that and you'll have no problem.

Bolts are the way to go especially for pre sets. Get out there with a cordless drill and a treehopper bit and once you get the hang of it you can set up a tree in no time. I use 10 bolts to get up the tree and 4 as a ring of steps. You can buy the grade 8 six inch bolts on ebay. Drill the first one knee high then set your elbow on that one and drill the next one at your finger tips. Nutterbuster has a good saying, "knee high and nipple wide" set them like that and you'll have no problem.

Is the tree hopper but a necessity? Or can I use a regular drill bit?
Pardon my ignorance, I am just not familiar with the treehopper.

And thank you for the suggested method to install.

Is the tree hopper but a necessity? Or can I use a regular drill bit?
Pardon my ignorance, I am just not familiar with the treehopper.

And thank you for the suggested method to install.
It’s not a necessity but is foolproof & very similarly priced for same size self clearing auger bits with a stop.

I have 4 preset stand to go with my many hanging stands. I use the presets spikes for new areas or places that I want to try out. Spikes are easy to set up I use 10 spikes to get to 17ft.

Help a Noob out.

I have property I can preset without having to carry sticks.

Grade 8, obviously. Where is a good place to source them?
Looking to do three presets in this property.

Thank you for offering advice.
You wanting bolts or screw in aluminum steps? The ameristep grizzly’s are good for preset screw ins. Check academy sports on line

You guys leave the bolts in? Or do you remove them as you descend the tree?
We used to leave the screw in steps in, just make sure you back the off a turn mid season so the tree doesn’t grow up too tightly around them. I never tried bolts.

I have 25 preset trees on our property. I use a variety of bolts. The best that I've used is 5/8" x 10" concrete L anchor that you buy at Home Depot. Pre drill and beat them in with 2lb hammer. Your feet never slip off. 5/8" not 1/2"! 1/2" will bend. Also I have used Linesman's steps which are very similar to the anchors. A cheaper options is to cut 5/8" rebar but that leaves sharp edges on the ends. I once got a free bunch of RR spikes. they re a little short and you to bang them in at least half way but they were free and worked in a pinch.

I have 25 preset trees on our property. I use a variety of bolts. The best that I've used is 5/8" x 10" concrete L anchor that you buy at Home Depot. Pre drill and beat them in with 2lb hammer. Your feet never slip off. 5/8" not 1/2"! 1/2" will bend. Also I have used Linesman's steps which are very similar to the anchors. A cheaper options is to cut 5/8" rebar but that leaves sharp edges on the ends. I once got a free bunch of RR spikes. they re a little short and you to bang them in at least half way but they were free and worked in a pinch.
Pole steps are great just super heavy, but once they are in there they last forever

Back