• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Primal cam over V steps

Oldnotdead

Has anyone tried these? They are a bit over a pound each with cam straps and Amazon has them at 21.99 for a 4 pak

Thinking of off set with platform. If one of you guys could link I'd appreciate it.

I bought twelve last year and added the WE ropes. Once you figure out how to weave the ropes, a 3 step ROS was pretty stable. After adding the ropes it cost almost as much as the original. I just couldn't be patient....

I used them last year, and added 4 more this year. Combined them with a knaider to get some extra height. I like the buckles for quick attach/detach and adjustment... They do need silenced though or they sound like wind chimes when they knock together.

I used one last year at the same time as the wild edge steps to compare. I like the wild edge ropes better. The primals seem to flex more too. I think softer metal and the cross bar is in a different location is why. This year I will just use it with a piece of plywood for a platform.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I cut the hook buckle side off and removed the cam buckle and swap the strap the the other side. I wrap around tree from left to right and tie the knot just like you would with rope and cam over accordingly. It works great and the webbing strap is probably less bulky than rope would be. Getting rid of the buckles makes these super light and dead quiet.

This is the first time I've seen someone use the strap like the ropes. Makes a lot of sense! Same concept as using the LW strap without a buckle just like you'd use a rope.

I did the same just the strap no buckle no problems. I typically use 3 for a platform and top of sticks on presets.

Thanks for sharing, I already have WE ropes on mine, but had to see how it worked in person. Zero difference other than it made a nice snap sound on the strap when I pulled the step down.
bdecefbf1c6b05d5a75cf487f9336b6e.jpg

John H., Hickory, NC

Keep your nose to the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

Thanks for sharing, I already have WE ropes on mine, but had to see how it worked in person. Zero difference other than it made a nice snap sound on the strap when I pulled the step down.
bdecefbf1c6b05d5a75cf487f9336b6e.jpg

John H., Hickory, NC

Keep your nose to the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.
This is really good to know @Bwhana. Thanks for the picture!

Last edited:
HELP...LOL

Ok guys got my steps, impressed with quality. It stopped raining so I went out to try one. Well it didn't go well at all. Now I know it's my fault but what the hay!
I followed pic on tag, and could not move it. So loosened until I could. Prongs dug into tree and it went over, but the v section or point would not stay down .
Need your tips and tricks. Now I'm a woman, but not weak and to be brutally honest (FOR ME) putting my weight to it should have locked it in tight and cammed it over easily.

Last edited:
What he said!
Make sure your strap/rope is "under and outside" the legs for both sides if that makes sense. Bunch of youtube videos on this as well! IF the Step is trying to pop back up that is likely the issue, or try to "uncam" it and pull up on the step and "recam" back down.

It's taking me some practice and persistence to get this down pat. Regardless every tree is going to be a little different.

Back