• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Primal v-treestep

swampnstomp_mark

Anybody tried out the primal b steps? Looks like a cheap version of the wild edge stepladder... about 1/3 the price too! Curious how it compares other than being a bit heavier...

The buckles suck. But for $21.99 for 4 it’s tough to beat. Cut the buckles off and buy some rope.

I think most, of not all, of the extra weight is in the buckles. I replaced with amsteel and they’re very light. With some type of aider you can get down to as few as three steps and still get to ~20’.

The buckles are heavy, but if you cover them with a tube, they're nice and quiet and easy to adjust if you're new to camming a step over. I'm using one for a platform and ended up going with one with the stock strap for that application. I just liked it better and didn't mind the extra few ounces.

I use em and they’re fine. I replaced rope with 1/8th amsteel. However, for my wood platform I leave the buckle on in order to get proper tightness

I think most, of not all, of the extra weight is in the buckles. I replaced with amsteel and they’re very light. With some type of aider you can get down to as few as three steps and still get to ~20’.

I thought amsteel had to be spliced and can’t be tied? Wouldn’t it not work well in this application? I’m going to order a set... regardless they are better than what I have.

I thought amsteel had to be spliced and can’t be tied? Wouldn’t it not work well in this application? I’m going to order a set... regardless they are better than what I have.
You splice the amsteel onto the step the same way the WE stepp rope is put on. The “knot” used to secure the step to the tree is also the same as the WE stepps use. Your aren’t supposed to tie amsteel into a knot onto itself because it lessens the overall strength of the amsteel however that isn’t what we do with the steps. The knot is more of a friction, or pinch, stop.

I got a set for my platform, after the first trip the buckles when in the trash. I put 7mm sterling on them, so far much better

Last edited:
I bought a 4 pack of the primal v steps to use in combination with the Knaider/swaider. After cutting off the straps and splicing on 9' of 1/4" amsteel, I ended up with about $15 in each step. I also added camo vet tape and spray foam. Final weight for the 4 steps is 3.8lbs. No 8-12 week backorder and a little cheaper than Wild Edge, but you do have to DIY a bit.
87ba123f428f0bbd51cf32e9171b5e7e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I like mine, and I'm digging on the buckles, they are very easy to adjust.
I have never tied that WE knot, but seems adjustment is a bit more involved.

I just cut the short strap off and removed the metal piece off of the long strap. using the long strap and tying the WE knot. Seams to hold so far, but would like to hear if anyone else has had any problems doing it this way.

I just cut the short strap off and removed the metal piece off of the long strap. using the long strap and tying the WE knot. Seams to hold so far, but would like to hear if anyone else has had any problems doing it this way.
Your the first I’ve heard doing it this way. I can’t see a reason why it wouldn’t work and it’s a simple no cost solution to dropping the buckles. So long as there’s no slip in the knot your good.

Just wondering, are you a leftie? It seems like that'd be tough to tie on the left side, as a rightie. Great idea. Is untying the webbing easy?

Just wondering, are you a leftie? It seems like that'd be tough to tie on the left side, as a rightie. Great idea. Is untying the webbing easy?
You can unwrap the loop of the webbing and slide it over to the other side.

That's what I did and it just is on the step part now. I had problems setting the steps from the start, so I unwrapped the webbing on both sides. It seemed to work a little easier, but it could of been me just learning how to use them.

Are there any statements out there regarding just how accepted they are on public land? I was using them this weekend in the backyard and they ate up my tree and phone pole more than my old climber would.

Are the standard straps ratcheting?
Nope, just pull and it tightens. Like others have said though, they're too loud and heavy. I tried it once and cut them.Nice hardware though, I'll re-purpose it for something else.

Back