• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Private pre sets option ideas. Looking for ideas or suggestions.

MattMan81

SH Member
So my kids have been hunting with me more and hope to have even more opportunities this season. In my attempt to try and keep things simple and easier when I have two people to set up, Im looking for ideas on how to achieve multiple locations on the property I hunt with out spending excessive money. From early season to late season the deer seem to move different based on cover and pressure. So trying not to just pick one or two spots that work sometime and hope for the best. I had a blind set last year early and not convinced the more mature deer got used to it, and they just don't hold up to the weather. A nice shooting shack is some money to make, and can't seem to come up with the perfect spot yet. There is a few bigger trees around the property that make some nice hide outs to help conceal movement for younger hunters and my self, but the larger sizes makes platforms a little bit of a challenge. Thinking about making wooden platforms wedged into them to stand on and rope climb up into them. But I worry about squeaks in movement from the tree in a breeze or just us moving.
Also have a few heavy limb maples I think would be nice if I got up and trimmed some area out. But would like to have have some pre set platforms. Wood could easily be custom fit to each application, but could result in friction noise. But make some kinda platform, or giant ring of steps could be achieved I would think with some trial and error. So what I'm asking is If anyone has experimented with doing such things and what were the results. I could be chasing a dream as well, and maybe just purchasing a hand full of ladder stands again and hanging to the side of it may be an easier solution. But the idea is to get them into cover for concealment. Which would take some work anyway to cut them in where I want them. My vision is some form of wood platform pre secured to tree. DRT or SRT climb up a rope to the platform and hunt. If anyone has examples of what they have tried or seen please let me know. Even if it didn't work let me know. Than I don't try it..... Maybe. Lol.
Thanks

Many of we time experienced hunters used wooden platforms for decades. They work and never had one that squeaked. We had a few tree palaces that were an absolute joy to sit in. We used 2 x 6 wood and pole barn nails with 3/4" plywood floors. The cost of lumber would probably be more than a ladder stand and that would be my recommendation as they are pretty easy to move if the location doesn't work out.

How old are the kids? Dad put me on a Baker climber when I was seven. I wouldnt rule a climber out if they are big enough to use one.

Maybe something like that would work? You could still rack up a pretty good tab, and I didn't dig deep into it. But if you can set a few preseason and maybe add a few a year or something?

Edit: what are you using now?

So my kids have been hunting with me more and hope to have even more opportunities this season. In my attempt to try and keep things simple and easier when I have two people to set up, Im looking for ideas on how to achieve multiple locations on the property I hunt with out spending excessive money. From early season to late season the deer seem to move different based on cover and pressure. So trying not to just pick one or two spots that work sometime and hope for the best. I had a blind set last year early and not convinced the more mature deer got used to it, and they just don't hold up to the weather. A nice shooting shack is some money to make, and can't seem to come up with the perfect spot yet. There is a few bigger trees around the property that make some nice hide outs to help conceal movement for younger hunters and my self, but the larger sizes makes platforms a little bit of a challenge. Thinking about making wooden platforms wedged into them to stand on and rope climb up into them. But I worry about squeaks in movement from the tree in a breeze or just us moving.
Also have a few heavy limb maples I think would be nice if I got up and trimmed some area out. But would like to have have some pre set platforms. Wood could easily be custom fit to each application, but could result in friction noise. But make some kinda platform, or giant ring of steps could be achieved I would think with some trial and error. So what I'm asking is If anyone has experimented with doing such things and what were the results. I could be chasing a dream as well, and maybe just purchasing a hand full of ladder stands again and hanging to the side of it may be an easier solution. But the idea is to get them into cover for concealment. Which would take some work anyway to cut them in where I want them. My vision is some form of wood platform pre secured to tree. DRT or SRT climb up a rope to the platform and hunt. If anyone has examples of what they have tried or seen please let me know. Even if it didn't work let me know. Than I don't try it..... Maybe. Lol.
Thanks

Facebook marketplace around here this time of year is full of stands and sticksA set of slicks like tailgunner shows are about $25 or cheaper. You can both climb the same sticks to hunt together, so just pick your 'platform' based on the tree its in.

Ladder stands aren't much more money and are super easy. Set up a half dozen of them around the property and don't worry for a couple years. Add one or two new ones a year for cheap and when one wears out pitch it.

Thanks for all the ideas. Keep em coming.
Cheap loc on would work, except the kids need a shooting rail for the crossbow. So drives the price up for the extra cost. Ladder stand with a rail seems to run around $100+. Normal stand with a rail were running $120+. I didn't see any on Craig's list. I'm sure there is plenty on public people don't want..... Wish I never sold the ones I had.
I found a ladder style set of sticks on sale I ordered. I still have one cheap loc on with a rail I didn't get rid of so I will pair with the ladder. Still have a double ladder stand up I used a few times.
I kinda like the platform on a stick idea. Could make a quick set up with the pieces of stick I have still. @tailgunner what kinda platform is that?
So maybe another ladder stand and make a few platforms up in the multi limb tree I should have some good options..

Still open to other ideas. Keep em coming. Thanks

Ladder seems easiest. As someone else said depending on their age climber is an option. My dad had me in a, i don’t even know the brand but around 10 or 11 I’d climb up about 8-10’ under his supervision and once up he had makeshift old car seatbelts we’d just clip around the tree at the age I was then everything seemed legit… with that said knowing what I know now no money would get me to climb with that old climber today much less let my kid do it but to make a point modern climbers, summit for example are very simple and as far as it goes harnesses and safety now is night and day. I digress lol ladders are legit, and climbers are viable also depending age. For what it’s worth couple of my boys ages 8-12 can easily climb in my saddle using JRB hitch DSRT.

Ladder seems easiest. As someone else said depending on their age climber is an option. My dad had me in a, i don’t even know the brand but around 10 or 11 I’d climb up about 8-10’ under his supervision and once up he had makeshift old car seatbelts we’d just clip around the tree at the age I was then everything seemed legit… with that said knowing what I know now no money would get me to climb with that old climber today much less let my kid do it but to make a point modern climbers, summit for example are very simple and as far as it goes harnesses and safety now is night and day. I digress lol ladders are legit, and climbers are viable also depending age. For what it’s worth couple of my boys ages 8-12 can easily climb in my saddle using JRB hitch DSRT.
My daughter (14 now) DRT climbs with no issue. My son 8 has done it in the yard but he is a little to fearless. With enough rope I like I can tie the slack off to made sure they don't slide down the rope when climbing. They can climb sticks, but gotta set them up. Which can be boring for them.
The tuff part is setting up two platforms, and two tethers, and keeping everything thing strait. Don't want to make a mistake. I have almost dropped things on her with all the up and down that goes on. So the less I have to bring up and down the better.

What about homemade tree-suit style platforms? Do you have access to materials from work or anything? Like a big spool?

Thanks for all the ideas. Keep em coming.
Cheap loc on would work, except the kids need a shooting rail for the crossbow. So drives the price up for the extra cost. Ladder stand with a rail seems to run around $100+. Normal stand with a rail were running $120+. I didn't see any on Craig's list. I'm sure there is plenty on public people don't want..... Wish I never sold the ones I had.
I found a ladder style set of sticks on sale I ordered. I still have one cheap loc on with a rail I didn't get rid of so I will pair with the ladder. Still have a double ladder stand up I used a few times.
I kinda like the platform on a stick idea. Could make a quick set up with the pieces of stick I have still. @tailgunner what kinda platform is that?
So maybe another ladder stand and make a few platforms up in the multi limb tree I should have some good options..

Still open to other ideas. Keep em coming. Thanks
The platform is the famouse lone wolf replacement seat

I'm also on the ladder stand train here. Most double-wide ladders these days come with big curtains that hang down from the shooting rail/armrest and add a good bit of concealment. They're super safe for kids and easier to climb to get to hunting height than anything else I've tried. Another option is to set a hang-on stand about a foot above and 90 degrees offset from the seat of a ladder stand. That's how my dad always took me. I was within reaching distance and could whisper to him easily.
Don't forget about ground sets, though. A wood fort or a sitting area at the base of a big root ball from a fallen tree are great.
Lastly, you could put in Grade 8 bolts that go up to a hang-on stand for your kids and just set your platform or ring of steps off to the side.

I'm also on the ladder stand train here. Most double-wide ladders these days come with big curtains that hang down from the shooting rail/armrest and add a good bit of concealment. They're super safe for kids and easier to climb to get to hunting height than anything else I've tried. Another option is to set a hang-on stand about a foot above and 90 degrees offset from the seat of a ladder stand. That's how my dad always took me. I was within reaching distance and could whisper to him easily.
Don't forget about ground sets, though. A wood fort or a sitting area at the base of a big root ball from a fallen tree are great.
Lastly, you could put in Grade 8 bolts that go up to a hang-on stand for your kids and just set your platform or ring of steps off to the side.
I do have a side hill that would be perfect for a ground blind cut in. Just need time to do it.

How old are the kids? Dad put me on a Baker climber when I was seven. I wouldnt rule a climber out if they are big enough to use one.
Either you had been a very, very, VERY bad boy, or he was just curious whether you'd survive .... LOL

Those Bakers were a test of character ...

Mine was stolen off the base of a tree, and you have no idea the pleasant daydreams I've had for decades of the thief in his "Oh, ****!" moment ...

Thanks
These platforms weren't hard to build. Gorilla glued all parts including the angles, nothing moves. Ratchet to the tree. Bomb proof if done right.
All wood and plywood is treated but wouldn't have to be.

Attachments

• 20240307_142045.jpg
    20240307_142045.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240307_142053.jpg
    20240307_142053.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 25
Back