• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Prospective Saddle Hunter in MO

Cmorrison2016

Hey guys, I’m a prospective saddle hunter in Northern Missouri. The idea of hunting from a saddle is very intriguing to me. I hunt all private land and have used hang ons hung before season almost exclusively. One problem I’ve ran into has been adjusting to “hot spots” that show up in the season without spooking everything out. This is where I thought saddle hunting could be an excellent tool, however I’m not used to packing in and setting up. My main concern would be that I want an ultra light setup, but I also don’t want to spend a lot of time at the base of the tree setting up a climbing system. Any tips? Anyone run into concealment issues?

Welcome from coastal NC!!! As far as concealing yourself it is easier with the saddle because you can hide behind the tree trunk! You just don't want to be hanging from a telephone pole type tree stuck out by itself so they don't skyline you from a long way off cause you will never see them if thats the case! Other than that it is a whole lot easier to completely conceal yourself in a saddle!!! Good luck and happy hunting!!!!

I might get a MO tag, which side of the state are you on? I could let you try my saddle gear if it would work out one of these weekends. Welcome to the forum!

Welcome fellow Missourian I am from the NW corner

Welcome from Maryland. If it’s private land you could preset w/bolts or just grab some sticks. As for concealment it’s not way different than a stand, just setup where there are limbs & blend in.

If you want we can meet up sometime BUT this is my first year with a saddle and just learning myself

Welcome from Columbia MO. I use a homemade fleece saddle I made for $3 and the treestand harness I already had. I climb with hawk helium sticks and with practice you can be really quiet and reasonably fast.

Welcome from Michigan, give it a try it has changed the way i hunt and has increased my enjoyment in the woods

Back