• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

1. G

New to saddle hunting in New Zealand

Due to extended time off I’ve been looking at new ways to hunt here in NZ. After finding various vids on web and this site I’ve started putting together some items that I can find here and ordered a sit drag to try. I like the idea of 2tc and reppelling down. Don’t like the idea of price of...
  2. C

Prospective Saddle Hunter in MO

Hey guys, I’m a prospective saddle hunter in Northern Missouri. The idea of hunting from a saddle is very intriguing to me. I hunt all private land and have used hang ons hung before season almost exclusively. One problem I’ve ran into has been adjusting to “hot spots” that show up in the season...
  3. Flick

Converting Lifeline to tree tether & muddy rope style lineman belt.

Hello everyone, I searched for a while on here but couldn't quite find the answers I was looking for. Newb from South West, PA. I'm about to buy a saddle set up (tethered phantom saddle, predator platform). I was wondering if it was possible to convert the 30ft safety line I used with my lock...
  4. J

I been trying to find someone close to me that wouldn’t mind me using their saddle to see if I like it or not. I’m not talking about borrowing it just showing it about it let me put it on and get on the platform to see if I’m going to like it. I live in Memphis but I’m from north central...
  5. Radar99

Newbie to hunting and saddle hunting

Hi all. Im new to saddle hunting and new to this forum. I haven’t been hunting too long. This deer season was my second bow season so I am learning about pretty much everything. I am really excited about saddle hunting in general. My uncle got me into hunting and he let me borrow his summit...
  6. TNbowhunter

Seeking Advice for Newbie - Gear Choices

Hi all, long-time, first-time here. I'm finally biting the bullet and making the switch to saddle hunting after being forced to hunt the wrong tree with my big, bulky climber one too many times. I've already read much of what's been posted on here, but I'd still love to hear y'all's...
  7. S

Simple tweak made my Tethrd Mantis more comfortable

I have a Tethrd Mantis size Large and since I first started using it a few months ago, I always felt like the bottom of the saddle would ride up and not be that comfortable. I was putting the waist belt low and hooking the leg loops to the attachment points on my waist belt like I saw Greg do...
  8. S

The Perfect Shot

Setting the Scene A week had passed since my last hunt and it was Friday afternoon again. The sky was clear except for a few clouds and the sun’s rays beamed down from the west, piercing every gap of space between the trees. The air was crisp and the ground was covered in the browns, yellows...
  9. S

Predator Platform same length as size 9 Muck Boot

In case y'all were wondering how big the predator platform was before ordering it, I realized on my last hunt that it's the same length as my size 9 Muck boot. I can fit my whole boot on the Predator Platform without issue with practically none of my boot over the edge of the platform. I'm...
  10. S

Failed Hunt - Get there early. Trust your instinct. Stay within your means.

Being a newbie hunter figuring things out on my own, I knew that I would have a long string of failures and mistakes I’d have to learn from before harvesting a deer. With each season, I continue to go through growing pains but with each hunt, I get closer to tagging that first deer. For the...
  11. lococo55

Tree stand safety harness

Hey guys I’m new here just trying to learn everything I can about saddle huntin until I have the money to actually buy one. Until then I was looking at saddles and it seems it’s pretty much just the leg portion of a safety harness with material under butt. I have a muddy tether and linesman...
  12. J

Is this rope okay?

I'm looking to get into DbRT, and eventually SRT with saddle hunting. I just ordered the Mantis saddle, and I'm trying to get all the gear together I will need. Does this rope look okay for a climbing line? I will also probably make it into a tether and lineman's belt, and make a short bridge...
  13. Jophus

New to Saddle hunting-

Im from Ottawa Canada and I found this site through Greg’s videos ( G2 Outdoors) on utube- what a wellspring of knowledge here! Thx so much for all the help and info- please bear with me if I ask obvious ( to you) questions as I’m a greenhorn and looking to learn from you guys. What an amazing...
  14. The Papa Files 7

Sold on the Saddle from WI

Hey Guys, Being sold 100% on the Saddle Hunting idea I'm ready to go and stumbled on this forum I live in SE Wisconsin and would love to connect with a local Saddle veteran to go over the do's and donuts :-). Also hopefully learn and bounce ideas back an forth about what I should be working on...
  15. T

Newbie Questions

Im new to this and trying to get everything priced out. Climbing sticks -$60 Splice kit - $15 Lineman’s belt and harness - have 2 caribeeners - $20 Sitdrag - $35 2 Saddle bags - $20 20ft. 1/2” Amsteel - $18 Ascender - $44 Total - $210 Does this sound about right? I kinda want to go down this...
  16. Tony

Kestrel: Finally feel "right at home" in a tree

Got the new Kestrel tonight...Damn...I finally feel "right" in the tree. Let me back up. At work I occasionally climb communications towers, usually working at heights between 80 and 160 ft up. When your climbing these things, either you lobster claw all the way up (fall arrest lanyards) or...
Back