• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

prussic KN?

Jokerswild

So this may be a dumb question......

Ropes, devices, carabiners all in that 22 and above KN ratinge

Cord for prussics- 11, 14.

System only as good as its weakest link?

There are 2 strands supporting you on the Prusik, so double it. Except for knots, they are close.

A prussic is really only one strand forming a loop. Not sure you can double the strength for that calculation.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

A prussic is really only one strand forming a loop. Not sure you can double the strength for that calculation.

One strand, yes, but the loop has 2 strands. The load is distributed over these 2 strands so there is half the load on each strand.

Where your caribiner hangs in the loop, it's one strand curved around the caribiner, so, I could be wrong, but I still believe that you only have the strength of one strand. The "two strands" are not independently supporting the load and not independently attached to where if one side breaks, the other still holds. I'm no engineer, but I'd like to hear some other's opinions on this. Like I said, I could be wrong. Anyone? Now I am truly curious. Not trying to start an argument, but I would really like a third opinion.

I run two Prussics on my safety tether while on stand and run a 4 wrap Klemheist loop and a Prussic when I 1stick.

So this may be a dumb question......

Ropes, devices, carabiners all in that 22 and above KN ratinge

Cord for prussics- 11, 14.

System only as good as its weakest link?

But you are using two strands to hold the weight.
This might not double the rating but my gut says it matters.

climbing gurus?

Where your caribiner hangs in the loop, it's one strand curved around the caribiner, so, I could be wrong, but I still believe that you only have the strength of one strand. The "two strands" are not independently supporting the load and not independently attached to where if one side breaks, the other still holds. I'm no engineer, but I'd like to hear some other's opinions on this. Like I said, I could be wrong. Anyone? Now I am truly curious. Not trying to start an argument, but I would really like a third opinion.

this is partly why I attach with 2 scaffold knots

a counter point by example

imagine a loop of elastic instead

the elastic would generally stretch uniformly at any specific section thereby distributing the force across the length evenly

Yes, you are thinking. On a rope, the load is distributed equally along it's length. If each strand has 100 lbs of load there has to be 100 lbs on the strand over the carabiner.

A sewn loop has a slightly higher mbs than a single strand, but not near double. Look at the specs for a beal jammy vs the regular beal cord. Hitches that have 2 connections to the carabiner (aka basket configuration) will more closely double the mbs of the cord (minus strength lost to knots). This is why I like sewn double eye cords, plus there are a bunch of different hitches you can use and customize them to you specific setup...

Last edited:
While i can appreciate your concern about the durability of your gear, I think you're focusing on only one aspect while not really considering the whole picture. That being, if your body took the 11kn of force it would take to reach the breaking strength of your prusik in a fall, at a minimum, you'd probably snap your spine. It would probably be much worse than that. Look at it this way, most traditional rock climbing protection (med/large nuts, hexes etc.)can take 10-14kn. The rock its placed in would usually fail before the piece of protection would.

A sewn loop has a slightly higher mbs than a single strand, but not near double. Look at the specs for a beal jammy vs the regular beal cord. Hitches that have 2 connections to the carabiner (aka basket configuration) will more closely double the mbs of the cord (minus strength lost to knots). This is why I like sewn double eye cords, plus there are a bunch of different hitches you can use and customize them to you specific setup...

Hmm...this might be of interest.

Im not doubting the safety of a 11kn cord. This is the same prussic gear that pros use. Just curious on "the math," and the huge difference.

Correct with an actual Prusik knot. But with a hitch such as Schwabisch or Distel there are two independent connections to the carabiner, thus spreading the load equally between both causing each connection to hold roughly half of the load.

Correct with an actual Prusik knot. But with a hitch such as Schwabisch or Distel there are two independent connections to the carabiner, thus spreading the load equally between both causing each connection to hold roughly half of the load.

Right. But that is fouled thinking. It one of the connections somehow broke, the hitch cord would (COULD) simply come unwrapped and let you fall. So it does t actually pay to double it on a hitch like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right. But that is fouled thinking. It one of the connections somehow broke, the hitch cord would (COULD) simply come unwrapped and let you fall. So it does t actually pay to double it on a hitch like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not to get into a debate, if each connection is holding roughly half then that would greatly decrease the chance of failure. Of course that assumes knots are tied correctly and checked often. So i would argue that it is a great benefit to have the double connection on a hitch like that. In addition, those hitches I listed are so much easier to work with in the majority of the applications we use over the actual prusik knot which tends to lock up tight as a drum.

Back